Mountain Climbing

"Does it ever get cold around here?" Wren was lying on her back, squinting against the brightness of the sun above.

"Our base is strategically placed so that it is not affected negatively by the other planets' orbits or the effects elevation has on temperature." Zork'ak was attempting not to openly stare at her.

"So, no?"

Zork'ak chuckled a little. "No. The temperature is consistent."

Wren groaned, and even that brought a smile to Zork'ak's face. The two of them were alone just before the moons emerged, looking out across the terrain. Wren had grown aggravated with a failed project and had climbed up to the roof to calm down. The rest of the humans insisted she needed space, but xe couldn't stand the idea of her alone and upset, so xe climbed onto the roof, too.

"I grew up in the mountains."

"What was that like?"

"Oh, I loved it. It was so beautiful, all the snow, and you could see such gorgeous sunrises, the way it glinted off the ice. I did a lot of snowboarding and for a little while we even trained dogs for sledding."

"How do you snowboard?" Zork'ak was trying to imagine what kind of activity the humans created in such a harsh environment.

"Oh, you get this board that's made out of fiberglass and wood, and you attach your feet to it, and then you can slide down a mountain. It takes a lot of practice not to fall. It's kind of like sledding, but with sledding, you stand on this platform and these dogs pull you across the terrain. They're both really fun, but it can be really difficult and painful sometimes."

Zork'ak almost asked why she would participate in a sport that would hurt, but xe shook xer head. "Have you attempted to recreate this snow? There are structures that reach high altitudes with slopes consistent with your planet. The difference would be that we do not have precipitation."

"I have noticed this. The water content in the terrain is fascinating."

"I know little information about it."

Wren let out a short, breathy laugh. "Is that your way of telling me not to ask."

Zork'ak grinned down at her. "Possibly. My knowledge is more psychological and less scientific." Wren turned her blue eyes on xem, and xer heart started pounding. "Uh, so, why haven't you made snow?"

"Oh," she pushed up on her elbows, "it's not that I can't make snow. It's that you need so much, and I don't think I would be able to get it to appropriately coat the surface. I wish I could though; I always regret never mountain climbing."

"Is that not similar to the snowboarding?"

"Well, you do go up to the top of a mountain, but with snowboarding, it's not that high and you ride this lift to get there. Mountain climbing is, like, taking food and clothes and ways to shelter yourself with you in this giant pack that you carry on your back. And then you climb the mountain, actually climb the thing, and I would climb all the way to the top. Some people don't or can't, but I am too damn stubborn. I'd make it to that top or I'd die on the way there. I'll probably do it when we go back."

Zork'ak's heart stuttered. "Why would you be unable to reach the top?"

"Well, the altitude can make it hard to breathe, and that lack of oxygen can take a toll on your body, and then, of course, the cold. That can be really difficult. Sometimes, the weather can be bad, other people can be stupid and mess shit up. There's just a number of things so you need to be well trained and prepared."

"This can actually kill you? This is not a dramatized expression?"

Wren shook her head, a strand falling to the side. "No, it could definitely kill you."

"And you wish that you could complete this task?"

"Well, yeah. I love the mountains, the way they look, the cold. I feel like I missed such an experience, a challenge meant just for me."

"Why would you accept this challenge, though? I understand humans compete in strange ways, harmful ways even, but why would you compete in life-threatening situations?"

"It's not a competition. It's something just for you, to know that you did it. You get the whole experience, and it's just beautiful. I hope I can try it."

She tilted her head slightly, and a lock of hair slipped further free of her tangled hair. Zork'ak reached forward, using one talon to carefully push the strand back in place. For some reason, xe didn't drop xer talons, though; xe allowed xer talons to drip down her cheek, and Wren did not move away. She even pressed her cheek deeper into xer touch. "We will find a way for you to try, Wren." The words were little more than a soft whisper. She only smiled in response.