Chapter 13

I sighed as I sat on my bed re-reading the letter from Anthony over and over again for any hint of my mothers' handwriting.

"You've got to stop re-reading that. You've read it at least 10 times now!" Hermione said.

"Sixteen. But it says that somethings happening at home, something involving mum and that I should stay at someone else's house for Christmas break..." I replied, trailing off at the end.

I still couldn't find any traces of my mothers handwriting in the letter so I put it back with the rest of the letters and looked to Hermione.

"I think I'll just stay here for Christmass, the Malfoy's more than likely won't let me in their house because I'm in Gryffindor...." I said.

"No no no, you were told to go somewhere else for Christmas break, come stay with me!" Hermione replied.

"I really don't want to be a burden on anyone though..." I said.

"Nonsense! My parents would be delighted that I'm making friends!" Hermione replied.

"Well, if you insist..." I said.

"I do!" Hermione replied with a grin.

I smiled lightly and we headed off to the Great Hall for breakfast where we were met with Harry and Ron, Ron stuffing his face as usual. Hermione and I rolled out eyes as we sat across from the two boys.

"Morning Y/n! Morning Hermione!" Harry greeted.

"Good morning Harry." Hermione smiled politely.

"Morning Harry." I said with a small smile.

I heard the sound of sliding next to me and before I knew it there was an arm around my shoulder. I looked over to see Fred and George.

"Morning boys, how are you?" I greeted cheerily.

I heard a slight scoff from Ron and rolled my eyes.

"Morning elf." The two said.

"We're all good, thanks for asking." Lee added.

"So, you got any plans for your free period?" Valentina asked.

"Not really." I answered. "Why?"

"Well, I was wondering if you and I could hang out and talk a little, you know, get to know each other a bit. You, me, Angelina, and Katie." Valentina said.

"Oh, uh, sure I guess." I replied.

"Great! I'll meet you at the common room at the start of your free period!" Valentina said before standing and kissing Lee on the cheek. "I'm off to class. Bye!"

"See ya." I replied as she left.

"So, Smith, you've got a basic last name. Is it your dads?" Gene asked.

"No, it's my mothers. She doesn't want me knowing my father." I answered.

"Oh, right, sorry I forgot." Gene said.

"No no, it's fine. She's happy so as long as she's happy I'm fine with waiting to find out who my birth father is." I replied.

"But you said you snagged her diary...?" Lee said in confusion.

"I've stayed up late the last few nights reading it and so far there's nothing in it about my father." I replied.

"Ah, okay." Lee said.

"So, Y/n, what are you excited for most this year?" Harry asked, drawing my attention away from the group of trouble makers.

"Potions for sure." I answered.