Chapter 11: Death of a Crow

The first thing he noticed as conscious knocked at the door was the pain.

A low and raw ache deep within his chest. All he could do was whimper and wither, praying for the sweet release of sleep to take him once again.

"I think he's waking up!" A high pitched voice made him wince, his head throbbing.

"Natsu," a much softer voice spoke gently, brushing his bangs back "can you hear me?"

The angel whined, wiggling on his resting spot, trying to ignore the world around him.

"Is there anything you can do for the pain?" The same voice questioned, trying her best to remain quiet.

"I don't have enough magic power left," a tiny voice peeped "I'm sorry."

"Don't be you've done enough already."

Natsu groaned again, deciding that if the world wouldn't slip away he may as well wake up and tell his friends to be quiet.

With great effort he forced his heavy eye lids to peel open, grimacing as light flooded his vision.

They were still in the forest, only now it was sunset and his group had set up a makeshift camp.

"Natsu!" That same loud voice from earlier shouted, before a blurr of blue crashed into him.

The angel jolted up at the impact, letting out a mixed of a surprised and pained yelp.

"Happy!" Someone beside him scolded.

"Ah," Happy cried nuzzling the dragon slayers chest with his cheek "I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you Natsu!"

Natsu blinked slowly, taking deep breaths and trying his best to focus on anything but the pain.

Sluggishly he placed a hand on the cats back "it's alright pal," he soothed, his voice sounding dry and cracked.

A soft hand rested on his shoulder, Natsu turning his head to see Lucy watching him with worried eyes.

"How are you feeling?" She asked, hand massaging his shoulder.

"Like I got hit by a train," he answered dryly.

"Yeah well you're lucky to be alive," a new voice snapped.

Natsu struggled to find the source for a moment before eventually resting on Gray who was sat further away, back to them and eyes staring into the woods.

"Yeah?" Natsu coughed moving to rest a palm on his chest, taking note that his hands were still stained and crusted over with dry blood "I guess so."

"You guess?!" Gray spat turning to face him "you were fucking impaled through the heart and you guess you're lucky to still be alive?!"

Natsu looked at the ice mage in surprise, not fully sure how to respond to his outburst.

"Gray," Lucy kept her voice low and stern "enough."

"No!" Gray snapped "you owe us an explanation Natsu, what the hell was that?!"

Natsu flinched and curled back in on himself, wincing as his movements caused a spike of pain to flare in his chest.

"I-" he stuttered "I don't know what you want me to say."

Gray bit his lips, Natsu gaped as he noticed the ice mages eyes were glistening with unshed tears.

"Say something!" Gray shouted back "anything!"

"I don't know," Natsu voice was shaky "I don't know Gray, I just don't."