Chapter 7: Red Cardinal Wings

Blood. So much blood.

It was everywhere.

Where was it all coming from?

Why couldn't he breathe?

He wheezed and choked but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get any air into his lungs. Instead all he got was a fowl tasting liquid rising from his throat like bile.

That was his blood wasn't it.

His vision was blurry but he could still make out the dirt of the ground slowly turning an unnatural shade of crimson.

This wasn't good at all.

Fear was wheling up in him, it wasn't normal for someone to lose this much blood, and he still couldn't breathe.

He was going to die.

Again.

Permanently this time.

He choked and gasped only managing to swollow a fraction of air, it was no where near enough.

Where was Lucy? She was with him wasn't she?

So were Gray and Erza right?

Happy, Wendy and Charla too?

Where were they? He needed them right now!

He tried to make his body move but his limbs were completely lifeless as if they had already excepted their fate.

He was already dead wasn't he?

There was no way he was going to come back from losing the amount of blood he already had, not to mention his lungs were full of the foreign liquid and try as he might he was suffocating.

He was dying.

He was bleeding to death all alone.

He open his mouth but this instead of a broken wheeze he let out a croaked groan that vaguely sounded like Lucy's name.

He needed her right now. Her voice always calmed him, melted away his worries and fears, she always made him feel like everything would be okay.

And even though he knew things were anything but okay he wanted so desperately for her to soothe him and assure him that he was going to be fine.

"L-Lu-" he choked, blood pooling in his mouth and making him cough violently.

He wanted anyone at this point.

He want someone to hold him, to brush his hair back in the way that his mother had done when he needed the comfort and sing him softly to sleep.

He was cold.

Cold. A feeling he rarely ever experienced and one he hated.

He opened his mouth again and tried once more to call out for his friend.

It died in a broken whimper.

He really was going to die all alone.

"Lu...cy...please."

"Natsu wake up!"

-----------

Natsu jolted awake with a startled cry, his hands instictly shooting up to his throat and pressing hard against it in a desperate attempt to stop the endless flow of blood that should have been pouring from his injury.

But there was nothing.

No blood. No wound.

Just silence.