Nine

Chapter Nine,
The Distance

"Eyes open, everybody," Glenn said as the group walked across the street toward the location that Aaron had given them

"Eyes open, everybody," Glenn said as the group walked across the street toward the location that Aaron had given them. "Weapons up. You see someone coming at us, you fire."

"Copy that," Abraham acknowledged.

"So if we see someone, we just shoot them?" Michonne inquired.

"It's a good question," Maggie chimed in.

"What if they're someone like us? What if Aaron is telling the truth? What if they're someone who has nothing to do with this?" Chloe voiced her concerns.

"We're seven people walking with guns. No one's coming up to say hello," Glenn replied."But that's exactly what happened," Chloe argued.

"If it's someone like us, we should be afraid of them. He said he was watching us, right? It means he saw us yesterday. And after everything we've done, why would he want us to join his group?" Glenn reasoned.

"People like us saved a priest. Saved a girl who rolled up to the prison with the Governor. Saved a guy who knows nothing but to joke. He saw that," Michonne pointed out.

"I don't know what he saw," Cody added.

Alli held Judith between her arms, trying to calm the crying baby. Aaron asked Rick, "You did see the jar of applesauce in my bag, right? This isn't a trick. This isn't about trying to make you like me. It's self-preservation. Because if the roamers hear her and come this way, I know I'll be the first to go."

"Shh, shh. Shh, you better not be lying," Alli said as Rick opened the jar, holding a spoon for Aaron to eat.

"You think I'm trying to poison your baby daughter? I'm tied up, and you've already expressed a willingness to stab me in the head. How would cruelly killing your daughter in front of you in any way help the situation?"

"I wonder that too," John commented.

"Maybe she doesn't die. Maybe she gets sick. Maybe you're the only one that can help her and I just lose," Rick responded.

"I am the only one who can help her because I have applesauce, and we all win."

Rick brought the spoon closer to Aaron, who hesitated but finally ate the applesauce.

"The community is big enough. We can find a place for you to live where even when she cries, no one, nothing can hear it outside the walls."

"You got forty-three minutes," Rick reminded him.