Chapter two

Lily's P.O.V

"Edie is gonna be back any minute, so you want help with setting anything up?" Pi was standing in the doorway looking around Edie's bedroom and drumming his fingers on his leg. Strange. He only does that when he is nervous.

"Everything is fine, thanks, pj." He nodded and closed the door behind him. When I first walked into this room the curtains were closed so when I opened them a moment ago I noticed something shiny caught my eye on Edie's dresser. Walking over, I make sure pj isn't still there and I move a few small boxes of things out of the way.

I take in a sharp breath of air as I find what what had caught my attention. A small silver band with a diamond encrusted snowflake on it. I picked it up and I would know whose this was just by looking at it. Edie's engagement ring.

But why was it on the desk and not on her hand? The door flies open and I jump back, but being careful not to let her see me put the ring back. And I pretend I was looking at one of her books.

"Pj is out of the house, we can talk freely without him hearing anything and risk information getting to Dan" she flopped down on her bed and pulled out her phone.

"Okay, so I showed one of the professors the notes we wrote down today, and he said that when a woman first falls pregnant, drinking isn't the best thing you can do for the baby. I had mentioned the consumption of two bottles of vodka and around fifty or so pills and his expression wasn't the most promising." She pulled a pink slip of paper from her pocket and was about to hand it to me but snatched it back.

"This is a list of possible outcomes that could be the problem. These are just guesses so please don't take them too hardly" she reluctantly handed me the slip of crumpled pink paper and I started at it for a moment before opening it.

Loss of hearing, sight, speech. I don't think that would effect the growth of the baby so I moved onto the next one.

Loss off limbs, internal organs, or extra limbs. That one could possible be effecting me but I needed there to be another option and as far as I can see there are two more.

Heart failure. My hand flew to my mouth as tears escaped my eyes as this could be why my precious baby hasn't been growing the way it's supposed to. Edie rubbed my arm comfortingly and pointed to the last one which broke my heart and made me feel sick.

A miscarriage. I dropped the slip and ran out of her room and into the bathroom where my head met the toilet seat as I emptied my stomach. I felt someone holding my hair back as another wave of sick rushed through me.

Once I was sure I could no longer empty anything else from my stomach, I sat back and saw Edie sitting cross legged infront of me running her thumb over my knuckles re assuring me it's going to be okay.

I got into a more comfortable position and looked down at Edie's hand and saw that she didn't have the ring on her hand. As I looked back up she was trying to read me by looking into my eyes but I wasn't going to cave in just yet.

I had to investigate this ring thing further before I question her but first I needed to see Dan.

"Thanks for the information Edie but I need to get back to Dan, if he finds out that this happened he will freak. I'll call you when I get home and I'll do a little more research about any of the symptoms and yeah, see you around I guess" I grabbed my bag and walked out the door, passing pj on the way.

When I looked back at him I noticed that his shirt was inside out because the stitching was visible. His hair was damp and sticking up all over the place and his shoes were on the wrong feet. He is usually a very organised and sharp person who always makes sure his clothes are made to impress not made to look like he just.......

Oh my god. He would never do that to Edie, would he?