"Thank you Dear, I'll call Mrs. Daniels." I nod and head back out into the shop with a smile. Grabbing the work order that's sitting on my desk I grab another, much cleaner form to rewrite it. Sandy loves the fact that I rework the orders, a lot of the time the writing just gets black smudges all over it. She used to have such a hard time reading anything. Of course this is a fact she loves to point out constantly. I can only smile at her words, I know I say this a lot. And probably more than is needed but I really love working here. Especially working with Ry's family, it just makes me feel included.

Finishing up the document, I set it in the folder, opening the partition and sliding it in the cubby below it. Seeing Ryker standing at his desk writing stuff down I look at the truck seeing it has the hood closed. I'm guessing he's finished with that one... again. I think if that truck comes in again he might lose his mind. I shake my head grabbing the list for items I need to order for the shop. Sandy is the one who talks with the insurance company's, I'm so happy for that fact. I don't think that I could manage to deal with them nicely.

Half of the time you end up arguing about what actually needs to be done, or if something should be rebuilt or just replaced. She always handles those arguments with such poise and southern sweetness as she calls it. I can't say that I fully understand what that means, but hey, it works wonders. "Alright, I'm done with this stupid thing. If it comes back, tell Mom to send it the hell away." I look up and give a soft laugh.

"I'm sorry Babe, hopefully this is the last time he brings it in." He stops and shakes his head, forcing his hand through his hair. Leaning against my desk and pushing the paper towards me.

"I'm afraid sooner or later, he's going to start working on his own truck. Then it's gonna be a complete dumpster fire, one that I am not going to be fixing." I have to chuckle, the guys hate it when customers come in, saying that their car doesn't work right after they worked on it. I can always see a cartoon head slap coming on.

"Hopefully by then he finds a new mechanic?" I ask with a laugh and he shakes his head, grabbing his water. I don't know when he started keeping it by me, but it's become a thing. Not that I can complain of course.

"Something needs to change, I'm tired of seeing this damn thing." I laugh and shake my head, Ry is really done with working on this truck. I pat his arm, and he shakes his head rolling it to look at me. I watch as he pauses, and he gets a look in his eyes. "Oh wonderful, you might want to cut her off. Don't want non-employees back here." Ryker says before pushing off of my desk and heading back to his station. The sudden change makes me pause, and my head spin. What the heck was that?

Turning my head, I am pleasantly surprised to see my mother looking around the shop with interest. I at least now understand his statement. "Mom, what are you doing here?" Setting everything down I walk towards her making her stop only a few feet inside of the garage.

"I wanted to see where you worked. You never did get a chance to show me this place." She continues to look around and her eyes dart around to each mechanic before falling back to Ryker. "I was wondering why he was so dirty the other day." I force myself to shake my head at her statement.

"Mom you can't be back here. I have to talk to Sandy, ask if I can take a minute or two to talk alright?" She nods slowly looking around, like she's trying to memorize the place.

"No problem, I'll be waiting outside for you." My mom finally turns and leaves the shop, and I start to wonder what this is about. Turning back to the door between the shop and the front. Opening it up I check to see if there aren't any customers.

"Hey, my mom just showed up. Do you mind if I take a few minutes to talk with her?" Sandy looks up at me before glancing at the time.

"Not a problem, just make it quick please? I need you to write up another estimate for the Clarke's insurance company to review." I nod, giving her a soft thankful smile.

"Thank you!" I call out before letting the door close as I head for the front of the building, attempting to find my mom. I see her standing by her car on the phone. Before I can get close enough to hear her side of the conversation she looks at me, before saying goodbye abruptly. I'm gonna have to guess that it's a business call of some sort. "What are you doing here? I'm a little busy with work." She smiles patting my arms, looking over the place.

"I wanted to see if this place was a good fit for my girl! Besides I didn't have anything to-do and wanted to explore more, I'm still looking for a store front for my boss. Do you know if there is anything close to here? That's up for sale." I stop and look around, confused.

"I'm not really sure. Why don't you go to one of the real estate agents, wouldn't they be able to help you more?" She gives me a shrug.

"I wanted to see if you knew anything." I shake my head, I don't understand this thought process but ok.

"I'm sorry Mom, but I can't help you with that one."

"What time are you gonna be home?" The lane change of conversation once again throws me for a loop.

"I don't know I'm probably going to be working a little late. I have some estimation reports to write up. Why?" I can't help but ask, I'm still lost.

"I have a dinner meeting tonight, I didn't know if I should bring you something home." I shake my head, in answer.

"No, I'll be fine figuring out something." She nods before looking around.

"Alright, that works for me. I might not be home till later tonight, I'm not sure when I'll finish up with the meeting." I have to appreciate that at least she is being more open about when she's taken care of 'business'. At this point that's a big step up from what she was doing.

"Thanks for the heads up. Listen I really need to get back to work, I don't want to upset my boss." She laughs with a smile.

"Alright, I'll make sure to shoot you a text if anything changes. Go be a good worker Dear." She pats my arm before turning and heading towards her car. Shaking my head I turned away from her, that was only slightly strange. I can say that my mom has changed, and I'm excited that we can actually talk without screaming at one another. It makes me think back to my childhood, looking back on the parts that weren't shrouded in horror.