Chapter 3: Roe

The nightmare of a memory faded behind my eyelids, leaving me hoping for dreamless sleep to take me back under the current of unconsciousness. As much as I hated the dreams, I loved a good long sleep just as much. I snuggled back up to my pillow, wrapping my arms around the warm cushion.

Wait.

Warm?

With my eyes still closed, I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, letting my hands roam to solve the mystery of the body temperature pillow. Was I sleeping on it before I woke up? It felt hard and my fingers kept tracing over what felt like muscles. "...Muscles?" I slurred, confusion thick in my raspy voice. I felt a rumble from the pillow in question and my eyes shot open, my head slowly leaned back to look into black eyes that made me feel as though I was staring down the barrel of a gun. All at once, those vicious eyes melted into something softer, something enthralling. Velvet eyes pulled me in like a bottomless well, making me wonder what I could find if I dared to jump in. "Looks like the malen'kaya belka (little squirrel) finally woke up," the giant commented, his voice low and gruff, almost like an animal's growl, his Russian accent further strengthening my intimidating image of him.

I blinked repeatedly, bewilderment blurring my vision and derailing my train of thought. I felt the blank mask fall over my features to hide the myriad of emotions swarming my mind. A warm and bouncy laugh filled the silence and my gaze flashed over to soft brown eyes that could only be compared to a teddy bear. The blond smiled, relief flooding his handsome features. His amicable face made some of the stiffness in my muscles loosen and I felt a small bud of trust form in my chest for him.

A hand rubbed my back comfortingly and I recoiled slightly at the sudden contact, turning my head to peer into eyes that made me feel as though I was stuck on the horizon between the sky and the ocean. The vivid blues swirled together enchantingly, hypnotizing me and causing me to stare a little longer than deemed socially comfortable.  What was with these boys and their eyes? Each pair of orbs were beautifully unique in a way that I'd never experienced before. A boyish voice broke me out of my trance and I found that the light and bubbly voice belonged to the one with ocean sky eyes.

The blue-eyed boy chuckled lightheartedly, his eyes twinkling with mirth. "You okay? You're not hurting anywhere, are ya?" he asked me, a smile still gracing his delicately handsome features. I could see the slight crease to his brow, telling me that he cared about what answer I would give him. That there was enough to shock me into silence. In an attempt to calm the boy's nerves, I nodded my head sluggishly and a reassured smile relaxed his features. He gave me a friendly pat on the back that knocked some of the air out of me. "That's good. It freaked us out t'see a body just fall outta the trees like that. Thought we'd hafta report a murder or som'n." He spoke with a childlike diction that made a smile tickle the corners of my lips, begging me to let the grin slip through.

I glanced up at the tree that I was previously perched in and my eyes widened a fraction. Holy shit, I fell asleep? Up there? It was a miracle I didn't die. I slowly shuffled out of the giant's grasp and splayed out on the forest floor, leaning back on the palms of my hands as I stared up at the three men who saved my life. "Sorry about that. I didn't even realize I fell asleep." My words were husky with sleep so I cleared my throat softly before continuing. "Thank you guys for saving me. I really appreciate it." I shambled awkwardly to my feet, catching some soft chuckles from the two blondes while the giant chuckled openly, also rising to his full height, which had to be almost a foot taller than my five feet and seven inches. My eyebrows rose at the mountain of a man in front of me and he placed a hand on his hip, his half lidded eyes shimmering knowingly as his lopsided grin beamed with vain confidence.

Any amazement was quickly erased as my lip cocked up in a distasteful grimace at the dark haired asshole in front of me, one eyebrow raised at him. "You got something to say, mountain man?" I asked him and he laughed, his head falling back.