Chapter 15

Taylen P.O.V

I gnawed at my thumb nail, my eyebrows knit in concern as I paced back and forth in Gibbs' living room. My teeth cracked through the nail as rage sweltered under my skin. "We should go get'im, doncha think?" I asked the guys, who were each doing their own thing. Lev was playing a solo zombie game on the television, Gibbs was grabbing food from the kitchen, and Wolfgang was sitting silently as his eyes perused an old looking book. Yuki and Henry had shown up in Henry's Ferrari just as Roe was dragged away and they were both sitting on the loveseat, Yuki tapping away on his laptop and Henry scrolling through his phone.

A familiar sour feeling rolled nauseatingly in the pit of my stomach and memories taunted me as they were projected on the back of my eyelids like burnt film, moments covered in a blurry fog that hinted at memories I hoped to leave covered. "Aren't any a'you worried about'im?" I asked, my voice tightening with the severity of my mangled emotions.

A tray of fruit clattered on the side table and I flinched to face Gibbs whose own brows were scrunched in frustration and worry. "Of course, we're worried, Tay, but we can't just march in there. We've known him for what, three days? We have no info on the situation nor a close enough relationship with Roe to justify any actions we may take. The most we can do is watch and observe and be there for him when he wants us."
The book in Wolfgang's grasp slapped shut and his piercing golden eyes locked with mine. "Gibbs is right. For all we know, we may dig the hole deeper for Roe by trying to help him."

I gave a desperate sigh, my head falling forward. My fists were clenched at my sides in a death grip, the skin on my knuckles fading to a ghostly white. "Is there really nothing we can do?"

The sounds from the T.V. halted as Lev paused his game to turn around, a devilish smirk on his lips. "A little snooping never hurt anyone."

Before Gibbs could squeak out an objection, Lev tutted. "Don't worry your muscle-y little head, nothing will happen if we don't get caught." The guys went silent, then looked at me and Henry.

Roe P.O.V.

I breathed a soft sigh of relief at the sight of Saundra as Avery tugged me through the entrance. She stood at the kitchen sink like a savior from hell, acting as my temporary beacon. I'd take it if it meant I could get away from him.

"Mom," I squeaked. Her deep brown eyes landed on me and a motherly smile spread across her thin lips.

After wiping her hands on the small hand towel, she made her way around the couch, arms spread to accept a hug from her son. I snaked away from Avery's hold, my lungs finally getting the air they needed. I met her in the middle, wrapping my arms around her waist and resting my chin against her shoulder.

As much as I hated them, I craved her motherly hugs just as much. I craved the comforting warmth, the support from the one who raised me, the love in every brush of her hand against my back, the soothing smell that I was so familiar with.

Wake up, Roe.

I opened my eyes and retracted myself from her arms. "How was your first day? Did the kids treat you nicely?"

I gave a vague nod paired with a small hum. "It was okay, nothing much different from before." I hiked my backpack higher on my shoulder and turned towards the basement stairs. "I have a lot of homework, so I'm going to my room."

"Okay sweetie, dinner will be ready in a couple hours!"

I caught Avery's frustrated huff and shivered, picking up my pace until I was in my room, the door firmly locked behind me.

With a sigh, I let my backpack slip off my arm and collapsed next to it on the cream carpet, starfished as I stared up at the bland white ceiling. My head flopped to the side, my eyes falling to a painfully familiar box beneath my bed. I stared at the box, wondering if I could see the contents inside if I looked hard enough.