Chapter 1: Roe

Hi Readers! Thank you for reading my story, I greatly appreciate all of you for giving my writing a chance :). I have always been a huge fan of C.L. Stone's Academy series, so I decided, why not write a fanfiction of my own? And now here we are. 

I haven't really mapped out where this story is going to go, or how long the story will be, so updates will be kind of sporadic. I'm only writing this for fun, so please, no hateful comments. This is purely written out of admiration and a desire to create a world within hers. But I am always looking to improve, so if you notice any spelling or grammar errors, your input and corrections are greatly appreciated!

With that, I hope you enjoy DogBird! Happy reading!

androxvintage

My leg dangled off of the branch I was perched on as I basked in the beauty of the fading sun. The sounds of nature carrying on around me filled my ears; the soft swish of the leaves in the whisper of the wind, the muted shuffle of wild animals scurrying through the underbrush. I felt that if I listened hard enough, I'd be able to hear the heartbeat of Mother Nature herself beneath me. The sun's vermillion rays filtered through the contrasting green of the trees towering overhead, the warmth permeating whatever skin was exposed to the stream of dying light and filling me with a sense of sweet serenity. I sat here for who knows how long until the warmth on my skin faded to a comforting chill as the pale moon took the sun's place in the sky.

My eyelids peeled apart slowly to stare up at the sprinkle of stars coming into view overhead, darkness of the night blending with the last color of the day. The soft chirping of the birds was replaced with the gentle chirr of cicadas and crickets. A wistful sigh escaped my lips as I reveled in the peace that this secluded oasis brought me. It's been so long since I've felt a peace like this. Recollections flashed through the blank canvas of my mind, painting memories and recreating for me the times of simple happiness in a once simple home.

I remembered the old swing tied precariously to a branch of an old tree in our backyard, recalling the countless nights Avery and I would go out there and play until our hands were littered with blisters from the unsympathetic ropes.

I remembered the saccharine clementines that I ate without reserve, never noticing nor appreciating the fact that they were already peeled for me whenever I wanted them.

I remembered the stories that Saundra would read to me every night before she kissed me goodnight, making sure that my night light was aglow to protect me from the monsters of my imagination. Back when those monsters were only of my imagination.

The once innocent memories began to take on a different form and as an attempt to preserve what little I could of those pure recollections, my mind wandered to the lives that lived outside of my own. I wondered about the school I was supposed to attend in the upcoming week. About the students that would attend the school with me. About the teachers that would teach me. About the families of those students, the families of those teachers. What kinds of lives did they live? Did they have a mom? A dad? A sibling? A pet? Did they live in a house? An apartment? A trailer? With other family? My imagination weaved together fantasy storylines of people I had never met, and soon, the soothing hum from the creatures of the night had sang me to sleep.

... (TW for abuse and neglect)

The door was the only thing blocking me from seeing the sun, and it had been for the last month. My parched mouth begged for a sip of water. My shriveled stomach pleaded for food. My hair was matted and greasy from weeks of not washing and my skin was stained with the soot and dirt from the chilling cellar floor. The cold cement tortured my feet, making me wish I had the strength to shuffle them in an attempt to create a hint of warmth.

The shivers ceased when the cellar door creaked open, letting the brightness and warmth of a sliver of much missed light slip through the opening.

The warmth was short lived.

His silhouette appeared like a monster from a nightmare, standing in the brightness of the world above, but exuding only bitter darkness. I sniffled, tears brimming my eyes, but I didn't have enough moisture in my body to provide them with the water they needed so desperately to fall. I cowered deeper into the shadows, but I knew I couldn't hide. He would always find me.

His honeyed voice dripped thickly with a faux care that could fool a lie detector. "So, how's my son doin'?" No answer. "Are you hungry? It's been almost two days since you've eaten, hasn't it?"

My eyes widened and my stomach tightened with hunger at the thought of food. My feet began moving on their own, trodding at a painfully slow pace up the hazardous wooden stairs. When I made it to the top, he was there to greet me, a paper plate of food in one hand while the other held the doorknob. I couldn't stop the pool of saliva in my mouth as my eyes glued themselves to the plate. "You hungry?" I nodded fervently. "I thought you would be. You know, you can have this food, for a trade."

A tremble of fear shook me on my feet as I brought my gaze up to meet his. The cruel and sadistic gleam to his pale eyes revealed what I knew to be his true self. "If you're willing to continue being my son, I'll give you this food. And a lot more. Just say, 'Yes, Daddy' and the problem will be solved! Isn't that easy?"

After a long pause, I worked up the courage to shake my head. An irritated huff left his nose and he clicked his tongue. "Not today either, huh?" I blinked and when my eyes opened, the plate was in front of me. "Here, take it. You're probably starved, huh, Monroe?" Without answering him, I snatched the platter from his hands. "It's such a shame you gave the wrong answer."

A hand shoved me and I careened backwards, my own small and dirty hands searching for something, anything to grab onto. The only thing I saw was that man's black silhouette that slowly vanished as the door closed, sending me back into a prison of shadows.

That's chapter one!

Don't forget to vote and comment! 

Thank you for reading :)!