Chapter 1 - Hunting Orcs

Hello there readers! So this is my first story, I hope it isn't too horrid :')

*Faervel's P.O.V*

I crept silently and quickly through the undergrowth, whispering to the bushes to cover me. At my instruction the leaves and branches surrounding me curled in on themselves and created a tunnel for me to hide in. I peered out through the glossy leaves and took in the scene in front of me.

An orc pack of nearly 10 orcs cowered in a small clearing between the angry trees. They didn't seem too happy to be in elvish lands, but that didn't stop them from ripping up small trees to make a fire. I took a closer look around the clearing to see Haldir crouching in the branches of a large birch tree and two young elflings behind tree trunks. The elflings had only a century of fighting experience between them both and were still in the early stages of training. One of them, Doldir, took a quick glance behind the trunk and looked towards me, seeking guidance. I slowly took my bow into my hands and nocked two arrows. The three other elves copied, taking out their own bows and aiming at an orcs head. I positioned the two arrows on the string so they would fly in two directions, and pulled the bow back to my cheek. I took a deep breath in, and as I exhaled I let the arrows fly. They both whizzed through the air and lodged themselves into the throats of two orcs. The orcs fell, squealing and twitching, along with the three the other elves had killed.

The remaining orcs panicked at the sight of the arrows and scrambled for their weapons. One orc, armed with an axe, ran to where Doldir was hiding. I didn't have time to see what happened as two orcs raced towards me. I stood up and the leaves around me parted. I placed my bow on my back and instead pulled out Thangur, my long and silver blade. One orc reached me and swung his war hammer at my head, which I gracefully dodged and returned with a sword to the eye. The orc screamed in pain and made my sensitive ears twitch. The second orc was smaller and quicker, and threw two knives at me. I stepped out of the path of the first knife, but the second grazed my cheek, drawing blood. I scowled and swung Thangur in an arc, chopping the orcs head off in one smooth manoeuvre. I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding and put Thangur back into it's holster.

I took a precarious step into the clearing, only to feel a strong yank on my ankle, sending me back a few steps. I looked down and saw that the orc I had stabbed in the eye was still alive. I frowned, reaching for a small knife hidden under my jacket, but before I could grab it, an arrow shot through the air and lodged itself into the orcs chest. The orc let out a final grunt and his eyes turned glassy and unfocused.

The other elves had stepped into the clearing and I saw Haldir was holding a bow. I nodded my head to him in thanks.

"Princess Faervel, are you alright?" Doldir inquired. I looked at him, confused at first, then amused as I remembered the cut on my cheek.

"I am fine, thank you Doldir, though I may need some cleaning up when we return. And return we must as the sun now sets. Come, I'd like to be back before nightfall." And with that I turned my back on the elves and started to run in the direction of the city.