Flashbacks of The Past Pt 1.

Chapter 19: Flashbacks of The Past, Pt 1.

Any readers from South Africa?

3rd Person POV

~Flash Back~

"What?!" She screamed looking down at her tail- wait... legs.

'That fruit...'

She looked at the red rounded fruit with star shaped swirls covering it that sat in her hand.

'This isn't?'

'The rumor that surfaced from the above sea world?'

'Devil fruits?'

'Oh shit.'

Asuka looked down at her body once again lying on the harsh rock she surfaced to just before discovering the fruit.

She stood up but immediately falling back down, just catching herself in time, so she decided to crawl her way to the sand and breathed a sigh of exhaustion.

"Now, lets try this again..." She stood up once more and fell down with a thud; it took her six more tries before I was able to stand without falling.

"Okay Asuka, baby steps... Baby steps..." She lifted her foot up with caution, not moving forward, just getting used to the feel of it.

After repeating exercises such as lifting her feet and legs she was able to walk, shakily, but it was an immense improvement.

"Umm... What do I do now...?" She felt very weird without her tail or gills; she'd seen pictures and descriptions of humans but never experienced being one.

Does this mean she couldn't go back to Atlantixa? That she couldn't see her friends again?

She can't swim because of the devil fruit and even if she could she wouldn't be able to reach Atlantixa with this body... What power does she have exactly?

Asuka waved her arms around expecting it to do something, sighing she sat down and hit her right leg on a huge stick accidently, she braced myself for pain but it never came.

She looked down at her leg that was now on the other side of the stick, 'what the puffer fish?' She thought in astonishment. Does she have the ability to pass through things then?

She swayed her arm at the stick and nothing happened, the stick stopped her arm. So Asuka focused her eyes and concentrated her mind deeply then swung her arm at the stick seeing it pass through as a mass of water.

"Water?" She mumbled and furrowed her brow; She looked at her fingertips and smiled.

She channeled water like it was her energy through her body to the fingertips seeing them starting to leak out water.

"Wahaha! Sugoi... I have no idea what's going on right now...!" She burst into hysterical laughter for no apparent reason until tears were coming from her eyes.

"Lady, you may not want to go skinning dipping right now, it's quite dark." She heard a light male voice above her and the laughing ceased as her senses heightened and her guard was up.

"Who are you?" She looked up at an older man wearing a long cape covered in blue stars. "Something tells me you are not from here not to mention this isn't not a good island to wander from place to place carelessly."

He still looked away from her but started to laugh

"Huh? What the? Hey! I asked who you were?" "Call me Yasopp, who are you? Not just any young girl will walk around confused and naked." He noted throwing her his long starry cape, for a moment she just looked at it before realizing it was intended to cover her body.

"Why should I tell?" Asuka raised an eyebrow at the stranger as he came closer to her with a kind expression. "Its okay, you don't need to tell my everything, I'm just a little worried for you squirt." "I'm..." She struggled for my next words but the surprising man gestured for me to follow him instead.

"Allow me to help you, you can come aboard our ship." "Th-thank you mister Yasopp."

"I'm the sniper of the Red-Hair pirates, we'll make sure your footing is right! I mean you're on the Grand Line, what a place for such a young girl... "Pirates? Grand Line?" "You have a lot to tell me and it seems I have a lot to tell you miss...?" "Asuka," "okay then miss Asuka, gee you look about fourteen or fifteen right?" He lightened the mood trying make to make her feel better. "I'm fifteen today actually..." "Happy birthday then! I have a son a few years younger than you, I guess we've got to have a party if it's your birthday right?" The strange man led her to a huge and fancy-looking ship.

"Yasopp? Who's this little girl?" A tall man with black hair asked skeptically. "Oh Beckman, you wont believe it! I just found her! Her names Asuka!" "Umm I'm pretty sure that's called kidnapping, she could be your daughter for god sake, I mean we're pirates but she's about ten." "Fifteen!" Asuka pointed out and Yasopp laughed. "When I say I found her I really mean it, she was just lying on the beach... I don't think she's from this world, she doesn't know what the Grand Line is or anything." A man with a powerful aura that made Asuka's head thump in pain. "What, you think she's not from this world?" The man became quite interested in Yasopp's story. "You say she's not from this world?" He repeated and Yasopp nodded. "Where are you from then girl?" The red haired man gave her a smile but she cowered behind Yasopp. "It's okay, you can talk to captain Shanks, don't worry he doesn't bite!" She nodded and pulled the cape tighter around her. "Maybe before we question her we should find her some proper clothes?" Shanks laughed and she looked at him funny. "Okay then, come here there should be something..." "What about that chest of yukata's those courtesans gave you as a gift?" Beckman suggested and Shanks nodded. "Okay I suppose that'll do..." "Clothes? Um... I'm not exactly sure what you mean..." They all stared at her in bewilderment before Shanks laughed a little. "They're to cover your body, in our world it is seen strange not to wear them." "Oh! I better try fit in then, I guess... I think I heard something about them actually... Those colorful things..."

Shanks helped her tie a yukata and showed her how to do it for later so he wouldn't have to. "Arigatou mister Shanks..." "No problem, come out onto the deck I think you need to tell us where you're from now."

Out on the deck Asuka was quite astounded to see how many people were on the ship. "Ready when you are Asuka," "well you see Onalui sensei always told me 'Asuka you stupid brat stop swimming to the surface or the humans will find you and cut off your tail and serve you for sushi!'" Asuka impersonated her teacher in a funny voice, she looked up to see if they were all listening, and with confused looks they indeed were. "But I never listened and last night, I think last night... I went up to the surface to see the fireworks like every other year on October the thirty first... I saw this fruit, it was red and patterned and I thought it looked really yummy and I was getting hungry... I took out a bite and passed out, when I woke up I had legs and... And I could do this!' She pointed her finger into the sky and water shot out.

The pirate crew gasped and looked at Asuka in astonishment. "So let me see..." Shanks poked his tongue out and looked to the sky. "You're a mystery mermaid from some mystery underwater place, that ate a mystery devil fruit and lost her legs?" "Yeah yeah, I should've mentioned the mermaid part before..." She laughed biting her lip. "God talk about acclimatizing..." Yasopp laughed and Asuka furrowed her brow in confusion, Shanks sighed and looked out at the sea. "You better stay with us until we figure out what to do with you... In the meantime, Asuka welcome to the Red Hair pirates!"