Part 23

"Mark. Hows she doing?" My dad asks as we enter the hospital. "I don't know. They haven't told me anything yet." "What happened?" "I don't know. A little before the game I got a text from her saying she was sorry and she wasn't answering my calls so I rushed home and found her." He breaks down as he answers. "I'm sorry." I tell him. "I just don't understand she was happy this morning." The doctor shows up and pulls Mark away to talk privately. 

     "Trevor did anything happen at school today?" My dad asks me as my mom leaves to wait with Mark. "We broke up before the game." "What?" "I did something stupid dad." He looks at me with sympathy in his eyes. "What happened?" "It was a stupid bet. I didn't mean for this to happen." I say with tears flowing down my cheeks. Dad grabs my arm and takes me outside.

     "What bet?" He asks sharply. "My friends and I made a bet for her to fall in love with me before the Garden Ridge game." "You made a bet for her to fall in love with you?" He states more like a question and I nod. "You made a bet with a girls feelings. I can't even look at you." He adds. "Dad pleas-" "Call your friends to pick you up. Your mother and I will stay here with Mark." He says not even looking at me. "I'm sorry dad." "You should be." He says walking back into the hospital. "Hey dude. Where are you?" Sam asks as he answers his phone. "I'm at the hospital." "Is everything ok?" "I just need a ride-" "No can do I'm about to get laid bye." He hangs up and I already know Luke is drunk as hell so I call the one person who I knew would help me. 

      "Thanks for picking me up." I tell Dennis as he pulls out of the parking lot. "Why were you here?" He asks me. "Kelsey." "Is she ok?" "I don't know." I say breaking down in tears. "Its all my fault." I add. "Whats your fault? What happened?" "She tried to kill herself." He stops the car and I look around noticing we were parked at the community park. "What? What?" He says. "The bet." I state and he sucks in a breathe staying quiet. "Just say it." I tell him. "Say what?" He asks confused. "I told you so. You told me she would find out and never forgive me." "I wasn't gonna say anything." "Really?" "Yeah. You have enough issues and me telling you that won't help with anything." He states. "Do you think she'll forgive me?" I ask him. "Honestly?" I nod. "I wouldn't." 

      "Thanks." I say sarcastically. "You wanted me to be honest." He shrugs. "But theres a chance you could be wrong." I state hopeful. Dennis looks over at me before looking away. "Lets just hope she recovers." "How could you say that! of course she'll be ok. She has to be ok!" I snap. "I don't know with her history." I snap my head towards him. "How do you know her history?" I ask curiously. "My dads a cop remember. I kinda went on his computer and I've seen the scars." He says the last part quietly. 

      "The scars?" I ask him and he looks at me shocked. "The ones on her leg and inside of her arms. There faint but you can notice them if you pay attention." He states. "How did you notice?" He takes a deep breathe. "She jumped at loud noises when someone raised their hand next to her she would flinch. When she talked or when someone was near her she would hide the inside of her arms plus when she wore shorts she would hide her things constantly." "You paid alot of attention to MY girlfriend." I state angrily. "It wasn't just her I paid attention to you too."  "Me?" 

     "Yeah about two weeks after you two were 'official' you were more affectionate and protective of her." He puts air quotes on 'Official'.  I open my mouth to say something but close it when he speaks again. "You can't even deny it, so don't even try." I have to remind myself that Dennis knows me better than anyone else. "Do you think its my fault?" I ask scared for his answer as he stays quiet. "You don't want me to answer that." He states after a minute of silence. "I do though." He takes a deep breathe before he answers.  "I think she has been through alot and finding out that your relationship was based on a bet didn't help." 

      "But me telling her I love her was real." I argue with him. "But she found out about the bet.  She didn't, doesn't know whats true or not." "So what should I do?" "I think you should give her a break." "What? You want me to disappear from her life! I love her!" I snap. "I didn't say you couldn't be there for her, just be there as a friend nothing else." He explains himself. I take a deep breathe checking my phone. 'No calls or texts from anyone.' I say to my self. 

       Dennis drives me to the school to get my car and follows me home. "Thanks for the ride. Wanna come in and watch a movie or something?" I ask as I'm next to his car. "You don't want to be alone do you?" He asks me as I shake my head on the verge of breaking down. "Yeah, Let me text my parents and I'll be there in a minute." He states, I nod walking into the empty house. 

     3 hrs later. Dennis' parents said he had to be home soon and so he left 10 minutes ago, leaving me alone in the house. I go upstairs to my room and take a shower entering my room I see my laptop on my desk and see a picture of me and Kelsey at the park on the bench at my secret spot. Smiling at the picture I couldn't help crying as I realize I screwed up big time. Laying on my bed I think to my self. 'What happens if she never forgives me.' With that thought I fall asleep crying.