Chapter 7: Incompatible

Vincent's POV

We arrived at the fishing area first. I didn't have time to isolate Max and talk to him. Everyone was divided into three groups. I ended up in the same group as Ryuu and Zoel. Luc was unfortunately in a different group. In his group he had Max, Lana and Ulrich. Rei was in the third group with Mairi, Kronos and Roma. I hardly had time to divulge in extra thoughts because the competition to catch the most fish was serious. Zoel and Rei didn't stop bickering for even a second. For most people their loud, rambunctious behaviour was entertaining.

I was more worried about being stuck with Ryuu. Since James had taken a liking to him, he kept clinging to Ryuu. That meant Ryuu was way too close to me for comfort. He deliberately took any chance he could to get closer to me. He was helping me with casting the line and reeling in the fish when I felt a tug on the pole. I kept glancing at Luc and saw that he was watching Ryuu with a frown while he taught the kids how to reel in the fish. The whole situation was awkward. I couldn't brush Ryuu off without looking ridiculous since he wasn't being very obvious about getting too close to me. He wasn't even really talking to me but he was telling a big tale to James who seemed to be totally intrigued by him.

I commented to Ryuu that I didn't think he could get along so well with kids and he surprised me by saying he didn't particularly like all children either. He liked James because he was polite, sweet and very obedient. I didn't say anything to that as Ryuu looked with a frown at Luc getting along too well with Max.

I was glad when the fishing time was over. Surprisingly we caught the most fish and Zoel bragged non-stop about it as we drove to the camping site. The camping area was a clearing with beautiful grassy land surrounded by hills. Even though I expected the camping spot to be empty, there was a cottage there already, equipped with one big room and eight toilets and shower stalls. It was empty but the place was very clean.

I heard Kronos call out to everyone to gather before the cottage. We had thirteen adults and seventeen children. Kronos told us that they were going to split us into groups of four people to share a tent. Family members and spouses were kept together.

So, Roma, Kronos and Ellie got to stay together. Because of that, I got to stay with Max, James and Juan. Since they didn't let me count James as 1 person, I had room for one other person in my tent. Ryuu volunteered to share my tent and I frowned, wondering what Luc would say about that. I looked around for him and saw that he was far away from the group, talking to one of the gang members in Sicily.

"I hope you don't object." Ryuu told me.

"Of course, he doesn't. Right dad?" Max asked me and then looked nervous when he saw I wasn't looking happy.

"Ryuu uncle, let's go and set up our tent." Max said quickly, trying to escape from me.

"Wait Max." I started but Max ran away to the area where they were distributing tents. Ryuu looked at me.

"Give him a break Vince. He had been antsy since this morning when he came to find Rei. What's going on between you two?" Ryuu asked me.

"He went to see Rei?" I asked with a frown.

"Hm..why are you in such a bad mood? I've noticed you looked upset since the beginning of this trip. I thought you would take every opportunity to get closer to Max but at this rate, you are just pushing him away." Ryuu told me.

"Ryuu please don't tell me how to be a parent." I said with a frown.

Ryuu pursed his lips at that. "Why not? You think you are the only parent here?" He asked me and I sighed.

"Max threw my phone into the swimming pool in anger. Got any tips on how to deal with that?" I asked and I felt a little bad for sounding rude.

"Why did he throw it in the first place?" Ryuu asked me.