Chapter 22: Reconciliation 1

Vincent's POV

I wasn't really expecting to drive our way safely to home given that Luc was now on the run. So, it wasn't a surprise when our car got ambushed. Luc glanced at me as if asking what we should do or rather if it was okay with me if he fought back. I grabbed his hand quickly when his eyes swerved to the cars that pulled up at both sides of our car, trapping us.

"Luc, don't." I said as soon as he reached for the gun. I don't even know when he armed himself like that. I guess, I shouldn't be surprised. To Luc, keeping guns and knives on him was just as essential as carrying a mobile phone.

"Vince, I am not letting them catch me and put me behind bars again. This time, I will run this show." He told me.

"But is it necessary to kill them? They are just doing their duty." I told him and he sighed, stopping the car.

"You said you would like me for what I am. So, let me be what I am." He said, turning towards me. I blinked several times at that, feeling uneasy at the thought that he would kill everyone.

I glanced when someone knocked on our car window. The guy had his gun drawn out and his partner was right behind him. Luc didn't even glance at them. I saw him narrow his eyes when he saw more officers getting out of their cars and come towards our car. In a sudden movement, he pushed open the door of the car, slamming it hard into the officers near the door of the car.

My eyes widened in horror as the two officers just fell on the ground in seconds from Luc's kicks and punches. My eyes swerved back to the other officers approaching the car when I saw Luc raise his gun and shoot without the slightest hesitation. Just then I heard a loud thunk on the roof of the car and I crouched lower in my seat as I looked Luc jump down from the car and shoot at the officers approaching the car.

I thought Luc would take cover behind the car but instead, he charged forward to the officers with guns. I bet they were caught by surprise too. I realized then that Luc didn't hide behind the car because I was in it and he didn't want me to get caught in the cross fire. With a thumping heart, I watched with wide eyes as Luc used officers as shields to dodge the bullets aimed at him. His movements were too quick, cleverly calculated and agile for them to stop him. All I saw was a blur of fists, kicks from his feet and the sound of gun shots. It finished faster than I thought. I didn't realize I was covering my ears and closing my eyes when I felt someone touch me. With a shout, I pulled back until my back hit the window of the car.

"Luc?" I asked in shock as my eyes travelled over his length. He didn't even look out of breath after all I saw him do. He looked impeccable as always. I glanced out of the car to see that officers were groaning in pain, lying down or crouching on the road.

"We should go before one of them recovers enough to try shooting at us." Luc said calmly as he started the car. I looked at the rearview mirror of the car and realized Luc had taken one of the officers hostage.

"Luc! Who is that?" I asked him in a panicky voice.

"We need him to visit a bunch of crones who think they could use me as their toy." Luc said and I stared at him.

"Wait! Are we really going back to the base?" I asked him in shock.

"Yes." He said and I stared at him like he was mad.

"Luc! Have you seen the security of that place?" I asked him in shock.

"Yes. Very clearly." He said with a small smile and an unholy look of glee in his eyes.

For a second, I stared at him. That look reminded me of him when he was in Kindergarten. When Luc was up to no good, he always had that look in his eyes, like he was having a lot of fun creating all the mischief.