Chapter 19: Damaged

Vincent's POV

I waited anxiously for the arrival of Luc's daughter since Aunt Seraphina told me that they were bringing in Skye soon. I had been warned that I couldn't meet Luc for the next two days as punishment for asking him to run away. Well, two days was nothing compared to how long she intends to keep us separated while she keeps Luc in jail, was what I thought.

I still have a very bad feeling about involving Luc in Mario's capture. It was just a foreboding feeling that wouldn't go away. Alex and Rei had also talked with me this morning. They insisted it was best for Luc to work with them and I could understand that Luc's expertise and skill could help them. But what makes me uneasy is that they think they could control Luc through me. They want me to convince him to work wholeheartedly with them. I didn't want to be the conduit to make Luc do something he wouldn't ordinarily do of his own accord. Aunt Seraphina, Rei and Alex told me that it was Luc's choice to help but I couldn't believe there was no coercion involved in it. No matter how I looked at it, I was dangled before him to make him work for them or was I being too arrogant to think I was that important to Luc?

I still wished that Luc heeded my advice to run away. But apparently he had made no move last night. I stood up from the bench I was seated when I heard footsteps approaching the door. A short while later the door opened to reveal aunt Seraphina holding the hand of a little girl with short brown hair and startling blue eyes. She was wearing blue jeans and a grey pull over hoodie over a t-shirt. She had Emma's perfectly proportioned face but the way she carried herself and the way she looked around her reminded me exactly of Luc at her age. I noticed her hearing aids attached to her ears.

The girl stared at me curiously as my aunt explained that she would be staying with me. My aunt looked at me then.

"I didn't know she couldn't talk. She didn't talk with any of us. So, can you explain what she has to do, Vincent? I think she knows sign language. Her orphanage records said so." She said and gave an uncertain look at Skye. They left me alone with her and kept a small duffel bag beside Skye which I assumed was her stuff. Skye looked at me nervously, gripping the sides of the jeans she was wearing. I guess some people could think that she looked like a boy but I could tell that she was a girl. There was an awkward silence as we looked at each other.

"Are you my daddy?" She signed to me looking into my eyes.

I smiled as I approached her.

"No. I am not your daddy but I know your daddy." I signed back to her. She gave me a startled look at that.

"How does he look like?" She signed to me.

"Just like you." I signed back to her.

"Like me?" She signed with a frown.

"Blonde hair, your eyes." I signed to her.

"Why doesn't my daddy want me? Do you know?" She signed to me and my eyes widened.

"Your daddy loves you." I told her and she quickly shook her head.

"He never came to see me. He doesn't love me. He hates me probably because I can't hear." She signed wildly, quite obviously feeling emotional over talking about her dad.

I wanted to divert her attention.

"Why didn't you ask about your mum?" I asked her.

"She's dead." She signed simply.

I bit my lips at her. "You look a lot like her. Don't you want to know about her?" I asked her but she shook her head.

"I want to know why my daddy hates me." She signed and I sighed.