Doors To Small Joys

Start from the beginning

1:58 AM

(Continued)

The jingling of my keys signifies my arrival. And the moment I swing open my door, Rubber comes rushing towards my legs, rubbing herself all around them.

I smile at her antics as I lock the door and set my bag and the now empty mug down. She must have sensed something as her pupils dilate, giving her a rather innocent look as she immediately starts sniffing my bag.

"Okay okay, calm down girl. You've caught me..." I sigh dramatically and she looks up at me with her beautiful yellow orbs, giving me a puppy face and I completely give up.

"Fine! I brought home some treats for you! And guess what?" I kneeled on the carpet, scratching under her chin, causing her to purr in delight.

"Meow?" She replies and I almost entirely acknowledge my theory that she is perhaps a human spirit trapped in a kitten's body.

"...I got you your favorites! The 'chicken-chunks-dipped-in-sauce' one!!!" I cheer, lifting her tiny frame up in the air, causing her to thrash around in joy.

I smile at her... She was my happiness, the memory of how I had adopted Rubber when she was just born, came rushing to my mind. Her name still making me laugh at the memory of how it was given.

Her mother, the most notorious cat in the neighborhood, known for stealing food, had died from sickness soon after giving birth to Rubber and two other kittens.

It was a rainy day when I was walking back home from the club, that I had taken notice of this tiny little kitten, all curled up from the cold rain. Her siblings weren't as fortunate as they laid... dead next to her, not having been able to cope with the cold.

I didn't waste another moment, rushing towards her tiny, fragile frame before wrapping her up with a dry kerchief I carried. She was too weak to try and move as she was also just born just a couple of days ago.

"Meow!..." She calls out between chewing in delight, causing me to jolt in surprise, returning me from my thoughts.

Rubber had somehow made my life less lonely. She was a ray of sunshine, to say the least, and I love her to no end for that.

I waste no time as I take a long shower, enjoying the warmth of the water as it ran down my body. Letting all my stress out as I crazily lathered my head with the shampoo. To live alone had both its ups and downs.