Chapter 53

March 23rd

The two hours wait before Percy lands at Manhattan Regional Airport feels impossibly long. She does everything she can think to do to distract herself from the seconds hand that seems to drag itself around the clock face at half the speed it usually would. Annabeth compiles her vlog clips; plays with Luna; prepares dinner for the next day; paints her nails (and chips them off as soon as they're dried); waters her plants; reorganises her sock drawer and sits through a grand total of seven TED talks ranging from 'The path to ending systemic racism in the US' to 'This is what happens when you reply to spam email'.

Finally, there's a knock at her apartment door. Piper excuses herself to her room with her hot chocolate and a wink, her fluffy slipper socks scraping against the linoleum flooring, her blanket trailing behind her like a train. Annabeth fumbles with the door lock just as her roommate calls "Don't keep me up all night!" loudly across the apartment.

She's opened this door to Percy on numerous occasions. There had been the time when they'd gone for dinner after a particularly successful YouTube video and he had taken her breath away with his piercing green eyes and chiselled features, then there was the time he had knocked on the door, bleary-eyed and exhausted from a long night of rehearsals and her heart had ached for him as she gathered him up in her arms and held tightly. None of those times could prepare her for the expression on his face this time around. They had been apart for two months (and the two days they had together had barely touched the sides), so she allows herself plenty of time to drink in his presence.

His hair is tousled and peering out from underneath a blue beanie and his cheeks are flushed pink. Percy's chest heaves and before she can ask why, he pants, flashes her his trademark smirk and thrusts a bouquet towards her.

Pink, supple petals open up to her, their scent flushing her sinuses. Percy smiles sheepishly and itches the back of his neck.

"I wasn't sure if flowers were your thing or not because you said they weren't but you also said that about Valentine's Day and I know you're a sap deep down, but I figured you'd at least appreciate the meaning."

He passes her a little, glossed card with bold black lettering. It would be easier to read if the font was more distinct and the background wasn't a wispy pattern of a pinks and greens. Her dyslexia makes her head spin. "Delia..." Annabeth reads. Percy clears his throat and apologises, forgetting that despite her intelligence and love for reading, she's just as dyslexic as he is.

"They're dahlia's. I can't remember the actual meaning, bonds and commitments or something, but I figured it was as close to permanence as I could get from flowers."

Permanence.

She throws herself into his arms, lips pressed against his jaw as they mutter reassurance to each other. The flowers are pressed between them, their sweet smell tickling her nose. Somewhere in the few minutes that pass, their bodies start to shudder against each other. Maybe they're laughing or crying but it doesn't matter. They're together now.

"I missed you," Annabeth whispers, her words muffled against the soft fabric of his hoodie.

Whether or not he hears her is disputable, but he loops an arm around her waist and leads her back into the apartment. Luna bounces at his feet so Percy ruffles her fur, laughing softly. He makes himself comfortable on the couch, shoes kicked off and folded throw tucked behind his head. Annabeth stood at the kitchen counter, eyebrows furrowed.

"What are you doing?"

Percy lifted his head. "Huh? I'm getting comfy. It's two in the morning, Beth, you've got a show tomorrow. You better get to sleep."

They hold each other's gaze in silent competition. His eyes twinkle mischievously as she chews her lips. She had three choices. She could join him on the couch and put crap on the TV while they talk nonsense and inevitably fall asleep in each other's arms with the knowledge that they'll wake with a cramp and a crick in their necks; she could ignore the string that tightens around her, constricting her chest and reeling her in towards him and head to her own bed for a decent nights sleep; or she could pick the third option.

When he breaks into a smirk, they both know what her decision is.

With the tip of her head, he jumps up and takes her hand, allowing her to lead him to her room. They shuffle about in silence, Annabeth hiding in the bathroom to change out of her jeans and top. When she's finished her skin routine, brushed her teeth and tied her hair up out of her face, she emerges to find him perched at the edge of her bed in the exact position she had left him in. He looks up when she enters, his dimple winking at her as he smiles.

"Are you going to sleep, or are you going to hover nearby like a peeping tom for the rest of the night?" Annabeth teases as she tucks herself under the covers.

He rolls his eyes and sets his phone by the bedside before tugging his hoodie over his head with one smooth motion and leaving him in just a pair of tight fitted grey jogging bottoms. Even with his back to her, Annabeth can make out the muscles of his torso contracting under his skin. Her mouth feels dry.

"Like what you see?" He asks, climbing in besides her. Annabeth doesn't reply, instead raising an eyebrow and shuffling over to give him some more room.

They don't need to say anything. There's so much they could say, the conversation with her mother springs to mind, but there's no rush anymore. They've got tomorrow discuss what they've missed, to visit his family, to spend time together. They've got tomorrow and the day after and the day after. They've got all the time in the world.