Chapter 19

August 18th

The restaurant is very extravagantly decorated, something Annabeth appreciates because the pillars around the centre didn't need any more attention than necessary. Honestly, she would've had more arches than pillars if she were to restructure, but hey that's none of her business.

She speaks briefly to the woman serving them and then they're led to their table. Annabeth had been to this restaurant before and therefore knew to ask for this one particular table, it had to be that one. She had booked it as soon as she'd known Percy was free for his birthday because it was so important.

The table is on the rooftop and in the corner. It's kept secluded by some ivy covered fences that block it from one side and on the other side is a fish tank (Annabeth had asked the question of why the fish were outside so that she would have an answer to Percy's endearing worries and was assured that the collapsible roof attached to the wall around this particular table and so the fish were safely inside overnight and in bad weather) so no one would be able to take any photos of their evening — and Percy would be able gloat about his ability to understand fish language. It was perfect. They order a bottle of bubbly and take their seats.

"Gee, Annabeth, this is incredible." He was gawking at the view of the skyline but Annabeth just couldn't take her eyes off of him. Somehow, she'd managed to run a comb through his hair while it was still wet and since then the ends of his hair had twisted into delicate, tight curls. The green of his eyes was brought out by the flow of ivy on the wall behind him and she became increasingly jealous of his long, dark eyelashes as she watched them blink against his skin. There was no question that Percy was attractive, she'd known that even before she'd met him, but knowing him made the way she did and being able to see him like this made her revel in his beauty all the more.

He gasped when he saw the fish tank. "My brethren," Percy greeted them dramatically, leaving Annabeth to roll her eyes as it antics. "Annabeth, you gotta say hello to the fish."

"I am not-"

"You gotta say hello to the fish."

"Percy-"

"It's my birthday. Say hello to the fish."

She pursed her lips and huffed. "Hello." The way he beamed at her made her heart skip a beat.

They spent the evening talking endlessly about everything they could think of. The topic of conversation ranged from their childhoods and their careers to contemplating the meaning of life and the Ghost in the Machine Theory, an odd development but interesting nonetheless.

"I sincerely hope we're not part of some elaborate video game and being played by some higher power." Percy pouted over his glass.

"It would explain the ever increasing trauma of the world. Just wait for the boss level, Earth is so screwed." As she spoke, Percy got a distant look in his eye. "What?"

"Here me out." She raised an eyebrow at his statement but prepared to listen to his mutterings. "If the world's a video game and we're just pixels on the character selection board that never got chosen and therefore became those dumb little background people you see around the city when you play as the hero, then I'm glad because I'd much rather be here, like this, with you." Percy's face gradually grows pinker as he talks and truthfully Annabeth thinks hers might be doing the same.

She puts her hand on his across the table and they share a smile. It's perfect, really, the pair of them on the rooftop on such a beautiful evening. It's almost a pity that all they seem to care to look at is each other. Annabeth reaches for her purse. "I have something for you." He looks like he's about to protest but she holds up her palm to stop him. "It's your birthday, Perce, of course I've got something for you."

The box she presses into his palm is velvety and rectangular and Percy raises an eyebrow. "Annabeth, I'm not complaining but don't you think it's a bit soon?" She just scoffs and waves her hand for him to open it.

Annabeth had spent hours pondering what to get Percy but she knew she'd made the right choice when she saw his face. He probably doesn't fully understand it yet but that's okay. The jewellery is simple and silver but the meaning is there. The charm attached to the chain is square with sound waves engraved in the middle. He grins.

"What does it say?"

Annabeth tips the box so he can see the code stuck to the lid. "Scan it on your phone."

He opens his phone camera and points it at the code, hitting play on the audio recording that pops up. Annabeth smiles when she listens to it. It had taken so long to get the perfect audio, but in the end she'd decided on the messy first take. In the recording, you could practically hear her smile when she said "Happy birthday, Seaweed Brain" followed by Estelle's little giggle and her call of "We love you!" The audio itself is barely six seconds but the look on his face is that of love.

"Annabeth, I-" He freezes and bites his lip but carries on before she can question it. "This is amazing. Thank you."

"I'm glad you like it."

Something passes between them, an understanding of everything going unspoken. It's for the better that neither of them say it aloud but it's nice to know they're on the same page. Percy fumbles with the clasp but puts the necklace on, pocketing the box and then clearing his throat.

"Actually, I wanted to ask you something." Annabeth hums questioningly, so he carries on. "The song of the summer awards show is this weekend, it's just a formality, not aired anywhere. But I wondered if you'd go with me?"

She can tell from the way he chews at his lip that he was nervous to ask her. Frankly, she's nervous to agree. It'll be their first press event as a couple and even if the presentation wasn't aired, she knew their would be press at the entrance. Her stomach ties in a knot at the idea of so many people so close and asking so many questions. Despite her apprehension, she nods. "Of course I will. You'll have to give me a rundown of what to expect save my hyperventilating on the night, but I wouldn't miss it."

They walk to her apartment building arm in arm, happy to accompany each other in silence. It's peaceful to just be by each other's side and Annabeth respects that. It's the kind of relationship she's longed for since book characters set her standards so high, the kind where just the sheer act of walking her home can express something that words cannot.

This time, they part with a kiss.