Chapter 9

June 18th

Hanging out after 'the incident' is awkward at first, but they've adapted. Neither of them mention that their friendship had almost become Instagram official or that Percy had practically written an album of romantic ballads for her. Things are tense but not unbearable, and that is enough for the both of them.

Thursday night is movie night, Percy had announced, storming into her apartment that evening. He'd unpacked a bag of takeout food and 'The Hunger Games' box set on the kitchen table before Annabeth had been able to stop him.

"Percy! We have guests!"

Apparently they've reached the stage of friendship where you didn't need permission to show up at the other persons place, but maybe Percy needed to learn to drop a heads up. Behind Annabeth is Piper and four people Percy hasn't met before.

"Dam, I didn't bring enough food."

Thanks to Piper's Instagram and Annabeth's Youtube content, Percy recognises 2/4 of the people in front of him. Jason looks just as preppy in real life as he does in photos, though the small scar on his upper lip adds a certain level of mystery about him, until he informs Percy that it was due to him being a greedy toddler. Hazel, who is remarkably short compared to everyone else in the room, has an air of wisdom about her. She seems pleasant enough but the glare she sends Piper after she makes an offhand comment at her expense is enough to make Percy shiver. Her eyes are amber but the flecks of gold sprinkled in her irises makes him wonder whether she's even human. Frank is built like a wrestler with the attitude of an awkward pre-teen, an endearing combination of clumsy and smooth. Percy hadn't come across Frank amongst his media stalking, but it didn't take long to realise that he was the boyfriend Hazel often referred to. Leo is slim with curly black hair and impish features. Percy is informed that Piper was best friends with him in middle school and high school and when he cracks a joke about Percy's odd timing and heads straight to the takeout food, it's abundantly clear the boys are going to get along.

It's a good job these people are chill, Percy thinks as he introduces himself to them, because I just stormed into the apartment with a plan to hijack Annabeth away from this perfectly pleasant get-together.

As it so happens, Jason is a big fan of the Hunger Games franchise so opts in on the movie marathon. The seven of them pile onto the couch in a heap and shove each other until they have enough space. Percy finds himself between Frank and Piper but before he can protest, Annabeth has wriggled her way over to sit on the floor at his feet, Luna in tow.

His brain numbs when she pushes herself up against the couch between his legs and gets comfortable. It hangs unspoken in the air between them, the weight of the last time they were in this room, Percy had serenaded her and they'd been so close to kissing that it had almost broke him to pull away. By the time he'd cleared his thoughts, Katniss was on the way to the Capitol.

Somewhere during the arena, Luna jumps into his lap and he sticks his tongue out at Annabeth.

(Leo comments that Luna knew something needed to stay hidden and suddenly Percy isn't so smug anymore.)

All the food is gone when they switch disks and Jason diplomatically decides it's the perfect time for a bathroom break and to replenish the snacks.

Much to everyone's disgust, Annabeth rolls her head and makes her neck click before getting up for a quick stretch. Concentrating on taking Luna out for her own bathroom break is easier than trying not to stare at Annabeth so Percy does the former, strolling up and down the sidewalk for a few moments and hoping the fresh air will clear his mind.

It works momentarily, but Annabeth's changed into pyjama shorts and a hoodie while he's been out and now his brain is just as muddled.

Hazel drifts off halfway through the third film and so Piper decides to wake her to get her into a bed.