Chapter 46:

"Nothing here, nothing there, nothing over here either!" Sam growls in frustration, as loose papers flutter towards the ground. "You know, maybe this was just a trap, to waste our time." 

"But it has to be here," Junjie murmurs, more to himself than Sam. "It's our only lead." 

"Our only lead on what?" scoffs Sam. "That she's a crazy person who's running loose and murdering random people? Shouldn't we just tell the police? Then Sera will be locked up and boom! Problem. Solved."

"Boring," Junjie declares. "Besides, don't you want to know why she's acting like this?" 

"Boring?" Sam harps, gaping in disbelief. "There's a murderer on the loose and you think calling the police is 'boring'?

"Of course." Junjie shoots his partner an odd look. "Don't you?" 

"Okay, well, we're wasting our time, anyway. It's been legit two hours and we have found absolutely nothing!" 

"Actually, it's only been one hour and twenty-two minutes. There's a difference." 

"I. Don't. Care. The thing is, we've been searching for hours. I really don't think there's anything here, if you want my very honest opinion." 

"I didn't ask for your very honest opinion, though thank you for the useless input." 

Junjie turns around, rummaging through blankets and shelves. 

"We don't even know what we're looking for," Sam grouses, half-heartedly sniffing at a pencil. "We don't know what it's shaped like or what color it is." 

Junjie ignores him, tromping towards the closet, opening it only to discover clothes. He slams it shut again, before checking her pillow for the sixteenth time. 

"Legit there's nothing here," moans Sam, banging his head against the desk. 

"Well, she gave us a clue," snaps Junjie. "And considering the fact that the letter is the only evidence we have, I think we should make use of it." 

With a growl, Sam slams his hand against the desk again. "There's nothing in here!" he yells, opening a random drawer. "Nor here! Oh my gosh, I have such hope in this one! Oops! There's nothing in here either! Maybe here. . . ? No? Oh my God, seriously? Abracadabra, make this drawer have something. Nope. Zip. Nada. There ain't nothing in here, okay? No letter, no evidence, no whatever stupid thing you expected to find! Alright! I'm going to open this drawer and there's going to be something in here! See? Look! What did you expect? That's right! There's nothi—" 

Sam stops, mid-rant. 

"Uh, Junjie?" he croaks. "I think I found something." 

Junjie appears beside Sam, eyes widening. 

Because there's an envelope, with the words "Project Anonymous" on it. 

"Oops," Sam cheeps. "I forgot that drawer." 

Junjie doesn't snap back, too memorized staring at each stroke of the words. "That's Sera's handwriting alright," Junjie finally whispers, before glancing back at Sam. "Should I open it?" 

Sam nods, and Junjie's hands tremble. 

Finally. 

This is the answer Junjie has been waiting for, yet there's something — doubt — that's slipping in through the cracks, seeping through the webs like dandelions. 

Breathe, Junjie. Breathe. 

Junjie slowly opens the envelope, biting his bottom lip. 

Then— 

Junjie stares. 

"What is it?" Sam asks, trying to see the envelope. 

"She left us evidence," Junjie replies back, as he empties out the contents on the desk. "Project Anonymous." 

Merpeople are real, the words print out, messily scrawled out.