Chapter 39:

The only thing worse than being stuffed in some random person's trunk is being stuffed in your brother's car trunk. 

But here Junjie is, legs and arms tangled together, his eyes slowly opening. 

A dull pain dances through the side of Junjie's head and he grimaces, inwardly cursing at how stupid he was. 

I should've known there was going to be a second needle, he thinks, trying but failing to untangle himself. I should've known that Zhiwei would be one to do something like that. 

A sigh escapes Junjie, as his eyes adjust to the darkness. He strains for sound, anything at all that can help discern where he is. 

One bump. Two bumps. Three bumps. I'm in a place where there are speed bumps, which means it's clearly not isolated, a place where normal people go. 

He hears the sound of "You Need To Calm Down" by Taylor Swift seeping into the back of the car, as well as Zhiwei's raspy humming to it. 

Speed: twenty-five miles per hour, so we're most likely on a normal road. 

The sound of dogs barking and laughter spills out— cheerful, Junjie thinks in slight disgust. So somewhere public, a place where people are strolling about, so that means. . . 

"Oh God," Junjie groans, letting out loose strings of swears, as he realizes where they're headed. "Not him again." 

Fuming silently and thinking inappropriate names for his brother, Junjie shifts uncomfortably. 

What does he want again? he thinks. Money? Me to steal something from the bank? A whole set of dead bones? 

Honestly, Junjie doesn't put it past him if he asks for a set of bones. 

The laughter slowly diminishes, as their ride goes on, a more ominous feeling settling over the place. The sound of crows cawing makes its way and Junjie knows that he's right about where they're going. 

There's no chance of escaping, Junjie thinks, eyebrows furrowing in concentration. Unless I take out the guards first. 

But then again, Zhiwei will most likely stick a needle in my neck again. Then that obviously won't work, because I'll still end up in the same way. 

Maybe I should try unlocking the truck first? No, that's way too time-consuming, especially since someone is eventually going to have to open the trunk. 

That means I'll have to not resist first, then proceed to escape right at the moment the guard guides me and Zhiwei towards his door. 

I'll take that guard out then make a run for it. Extremely risky, especially considering there's security. I'll just sneak in and out, and boom! I'll be out of this stupid "deal" or whatever he wants to make. 

Junjie's thoughts are cut short, as the car trunk lifts, letting light stream in. Junjie shields his eyes, squinting blindly. 

"Oh," Zhiwei says while pursing his lips. "You're awake." 

"What does he want again?" Junjie grouses as he nimbly hops out of the trunk. "And also, I will never forgive you for putting me in there. Do you know how cramped it was?" 

"That was the point, little brother." 

Junjie grits his teeth, shooting Zhiwei a dirty look. After Junjie had insisted Zhiwei not call him "little brother", his brother had gone to all lengths to call him by that intolerable nickname. 

"What does he want?" Junjie repeats again. 

Zhiwei glances around in a conspiracy-like action. "I can't say it here," he hisses back, lips barely moving. "Too dangerous, out in the open. But he'll explain everything once we're inside." 

Junjie rolls his eyes in irritation. It seems his plan won't go as planned, since curiosity trumps all. 

He squints at the building, at the distasteful small shack, pebbles taking cover on the ground. "Impressive" is definitely not what the building is trying to convey. 

The rusted sign of "Trespassers Will Be Killed On Sight" stands to the side, the wind smacking into it. 

"Time to go in," Zhiwei says, before pausing with a serious expression. "Try not to light anything on fire, or ask him if a crocodile styled his hair. At least try to be polite." 

Junjie scoffs. 

They both know he's not going to act civilized, his hatred for him too overwhelming. 

"I'll try," Junjie lies, a slight smile on his lips. 

Zhiwei gives him a warning look, as the guard posted on the door stops them. "Name?" he grunts. 

"Zhiwei and Junjie Williams," Zhiwei announces. 

"Though I was forced to come," fires back Junjie loudly. "I did not come willingly." 

The guard merely raises an eyebrow. "Alright," he says, moving aside to reveal a door. "He's waiting for you." 

Junjie sighs, as he steps into the building. An elevator waits for them, as the two brothers walk into it. 

About eighty-two buttons await them and Zhiwei clicks on the last button, face turning solemn. "So remember, be polite," Zhiwei hisses, obviously on the spot, since the security camera zooms up closer. 

"Don't say rude stuff," Junjie continues, casually leaning against the elevator rail. "Yada yada yada." 

"I'm serious!" Zhiwei insists, as the elevator smoothly descends. "You don't want to get chased by snakes like the last time, do you?" 

"It was good exercise. I enjoyed it. Besides, they weren't poisonous, despite what he had said." 

A scowl crosses the brother's face. 

Twenty seconds until we reach our destination, Junjie thinks, keeping his gaze on the numbers that tick down. Jesus, his elevator is fast. 

Eighteen seconds. . . 

"Honestly, though, I do understand that you've always been the rowdy child." 

Sixteen seconds. . . 

"But hasn't Mum taught you anything at all?" 

Fourteen seconds. . . 

"Manners, little brother. Manners." 

Twelve seconds. . . 

"Are you even listening to me, Junjie?" 

Ten seconds. . . 

Junjie turns. "Of course I am," he replies. "What else would I be doing?" 

Six seconds. . . 

"Plotting your escape?" suggests Zhiwei with a scoff. 

Two seconds. . . 

One. 

Zero— 

"Hello," a deep voice says. "I've been expecting you."