chapter three

h e d a n c e s w i t h t h e p o - p o

____________________________________________________________________________

Character Picture: Nate

Dedicated to this gal (PMoonface) because she leaves amazing comments and I want to thank her for dat. xx

____________________________________________________________________________

(not edited)

Tyler and I had cleaned off our dinner and I was, yet again, looking up at the stars. My dad is an astronomer and when I was a little kid he used to take me out to this lookout that he found, where it showed the stars so clearly and beautifully. I have always been entranced and fascinated by the little 'lights in the sky', I used to call them; so much that I had the night sky painted on the ceiling of my bedroom.

Tyler sat silently beside me, while I lay observing the sky. The way Tyler acted tonight was weird – different – and I don't know how to feel about it. Around his friends, he's a jackass. He'll push me, make fun of me and taunt me with horrible words. Yet, I couldn't shake off the weird feeling about how he is alone.

I've always been told to not judge a book by its cover, but Tyler is just so easily judged. I've only experienced a few insults directed towards me tonight with Tyler, which is entirely different to the usual.

I remember, just last week, Nate, him and I were all at Nate's house. I was reluctant to go after hearing that he would be there, but Nate convinced me to go nevertheless pulling off some 'you're my best friend' act. Tyler practically tortured me. I made an agreement with myself to never be in the same house for more than ten minutes with Tyler ever again, but I guess the tables have turned.

I checked the time on my phone – an iPhone 5 which I worked my ass off to get. I work at a local diner as a waitress. It pays well and has good hours so I enjoy working there. Plus, Emily is employed there alongside me which makes it ten times better. I come from a middle class family, so it didn't hurt for me to lift my weight and start working instead of sitting on my butt the entire time.

Mom and dad may work all the time, but their jobs aren't high paying like lawyers or anything. But, with dad's alcohol binges every now and then, it hits us pretty hard. Let's just say that my father only drinks the best...

It was 11:47 and I had better get back to the party in case Nate or Emily noticed me missing – not that they would, since they're so engrossed in each other, but I could only wish. I cracked a small smile at my screensaver. Emily, Nate and I had taken it at last year's annual Carnival – which is coming up soon. It was while we were on the Ferris wheel, and Nate had insisted we took a picture. In the picture, Emily is grinning at Nate who is puffing his cheeks out like a fish, while I'm poking my tongue out to the side of the frame.

"Nova," Tyler's voice cut me out of my internal chat. "We better get going back, I'm still not drunk and you aren't giving me a lap dance yet."

I glared at Tyler as he winked and joked around. He's been dead set on me being 'in love with him' all night – which I am not – and cracking jokes about how he can't wait for the kiss at the end of our date. His mock persistence was hilarious – and kind of cute I have to admit – because every time I would turn him down he would pout and it melted my heart. I'm usually unaltered by puppy dog faces, but Tyler's really hit the top of the cuteness meter.

"No lap dance for you anymore," I sing-song, deciding to play along with him for once.

"So there was an option for one in the first place?" Tyler's all-too-famous smirk appeared on his face. He looked pretty hot – doesn't he always? – With his dark wash slim fitting jeans and tight black shirt that showed off his defined chest muscles. I bet he would look even better shirtless.