4|| LET'S PARTY

"So frightening, face whitening,
Fear that you can't reverse..."

                                      -Au/Ra (Panic Room)

*Friday, 13th May.*

      I winced as the needle pierced into my skin, drawing the thick, red liquid out. Quickly pressing my finger onto the paper with my name written in clear bold letters, I allowed it to soak that one precious drop of blood.

     Behind me, I could hear Gabbie talking to the camera, telling the imaginary audience about the Midnight Man, her anticipations and fears regarding the game. She would occasionally turn the camera towards us while conversing to catch our expressions which mostly consisted of nervous giggles and a polite nod or two.

    "Eooww!" Michael's squeal cut through the otherwise nervous silence that hung like thick smoke in the air, as Tia pricked his finger. "I shouldn't have agreed for this. Nope."

Tia let out a small laugh. "Relax! It's just one drop. You allow a mosquito to drink more than this."

   Gabbie turned the camera towards me, smiling. "Alright! So we've done the big blood deed and now, we're all set to conjure the Midnight man, right Rosey?"

       I nodded. "Uh huh, way to go Gabs. We're already starting to get chills on this hot summer night here and you have to remind us of the Conjuring?"

Teddy gave a slow clap, while the rest started teasing Gabbie to lighten the mood.

   He was the brother I never had- and the official master of history in our group. A lot of his projects had also been published in our university magazines. Edmund shared a similar passion of historical antiquities with him, apart from being a travel vlogger, video editor and Gabbie's boyfriend. Unfortunately, he couldn't make it to the game tonight.

     After a couple more minutes of banters and laughter, Hannah pointed a perfectly manicured finger to her watch.

"Guys! It's quarter past eleven. I think we better get ready."

       Gabbie nodded, cheering Diego and Elvis as they dashed around the house switching all the lights off until we were grouped together in complete darkness; the only way to see each other being the burning candles in our hands.

"Okay! As you all can see, it's exactly 11:59." Gabs brought her phone closer to the camera.
"We have arranged our names in front of the door with the candles. It's time to knock and play." Gabbie slowly tiptoed to the door, handing me the cam.

I mouthed start for her to begin knocking.

One, two, three...

I wasn't someone who could be scared easily.