12|| BAD NEWS

"Bad, bad, bad, bad news
I know you know it too."

                                                -The Kid LAROI ( Bad News)

     Before Gabbie could complete her sentence, she burst into hysterical tears

   My heart readied itself to crash down ferociously.

Something was terribly wrong.

   There was a troubling shuffle amidst blurred broken sounds, before Edmund's voice echoed through the phone. It sounded way quieter and hollow.

     "Hey... Rose! We're at the Select Hospital. El-Elvis met with an accident on his way back home." His voice cracked, making me tense up even further. " It..." He inhaled deeply, "It was a spot death."

    My heart dropped like a lifeless boulder along with Edmund's shaky exhale from the other side.

No.

This wasnt real.

It was a nightmare.

   The Midnight Man was playing with my head again, right?

    The static buzz of the phone, Hannah's wailing in the background accompanied by Gabbie and the sirens spoke otherwise.

   After a few minutes of utter, complete silence from my part, I finally found my voice back. It was trembling.

"I-I'll be there."

    Edmund cut me off almost immediately, as if, he was fearing I'd say this. 
   "No--" His tone was smeared with pain. " Rose, it's past midnight... And you're all alone. How will you reach here? "

    I winced, ignoring the tear slipping down my cheek. "I will-- yes, I'll ask my neighbour to drop me. I know she'll hel-"

    "Rose. I know this hurts but be practical. You can arrive tomorrow morning. Don't get overwhelmed."

" But Edmund-"

   " No!" His voice became sterner, like an elderly brother scolding me.
" It's not safe, and I'm not allowing another close friend of mine to drive through these pesky streets this late at night. "

  I could barely make out the last words as they got entangled in a mesh of his hoarse vocals and phlegmatic tears.

He was deeply hurt.
Elvis had, after all, been his best friend.

   Hanging up with forlorn thoughts, I slouched back on the bed, hugging my pillow.
  Everything seemed to still for a moment, as the room dimmed in my sights. Like a flash, Elvis' smiling face crossed my mind, disappearing within the shadows the next moment.