8|| AN UNHOLY ENCOUNTER

"This ain't a dream,
and I'd like to hear you scream."

     " So, you'll be home- alone this entire month?"    Gabbie raised her brow as I tried to sweep the stray tresses frolicking in the summer wind, away from my face

   Gabbie raised her brow as I tried to sweep the stray tresses frolicking in the summer wind, away from my face.
   Jae- Hyul hummed in a questioning tone with her, his eyes glued to the phone clasped between his pale palms.

  We were returning to our respective abodes after college classes, talking and trudging along lazily. Since Gabbie, Jae and I lived along the same line of estates, it had become our daily ritual to walk home together.

"I'm not sure," I sighed, " Dad had to fly off for some management survey in the Chicago department and that's going to be for a month, or perhaps even more. A big project, apparently. "

   Shrugging, I spared a glance at Jae who offered me an apologetic smile before resuming the finger- parade on his phone.

    "Mom got a call, the day before yesterday, from the Greek Semiotics Association with some big marketing strategies to wheel in. She took off early in the morning today, and according to her, will presumably be back by next week."

     My eyes trailed to the pebble that I had just flung away with my feet. The stone bounced twice, before leaping straight into a dry hedge adorning the sidewalk and disappearing amidst the green, just like my high spirits.

      Jae, who had been busy typing all this while, glanced up with a concerned look on his face. 
    " So you'll be staying all alone in Lark Ville?"

   I shrugged nonchalantly. " Yeah. You guys! It's not like the first time that I'm staying alone. Dad's always on the go, with new projects and mom has to travel for her research at times too. It's cool."

   Clicking her tongue dismissively, Gabbie smiled before weaving her arm through mine. "Well, even though your society's nice, whenever you're bored, you know which door to knock!"

    I chuckled softly, giving a nod in response to her wink. Without thinking twice, my mouth moved on its own accord, "Aye, the same door that Midnighty knocked upon, a week ago."

Well, shit.

Why did I have to bring up that unholy name at such an hour?

Gabbie let out a laugh.
    "Indeed! Jae, I guess Rosey's really enjoyed the game." she wiggled her eyebrows at my weak smile. " She even gave the Midnight man a nickname!"

       The moment those words escaped her lips, a strange chill cascaded down my spine, inspite of the surrounding heat trying to roast us alive. I could feel the temperature drop down by a hair's breadth, as if an unearthly presence was lingering along-with us. The air enveloped us in a sweltering embrace, pretty much like a suffocating cloak.