1 - The Boyfriend

Start from the beginning

I gave him a thanks as I laughed and pushed myself a safe distance from him. For a bit we stood and debated the game as the crowds started to thin. We never dared to leave when everyone else did. First off I had to wait for Kale either way. Secondly we probably would have been mauled to bits under the stampeding students.

When the crowd finally thinned we bid each other our goodbyes and I climbed out of the stands before leaning against the metal fence, waiting patiently as Kale and the rest of the players went into a huddle to talk about the loss and the next practice. I waited, turning my eyes up to the dark sky. Yes, I’d invite the guys over for video games. It was the only way that I could cheer him up properly. Their lively presence would brighten his dark mood. It always did.  

“Hey! Rein!” I looked around as my name was called out by a familiar voice I couldn’t put my fingers on. people were still filing from the stands around me and I was bumped into a few times but didn’t see who had spoken.

“Rein!” the voice called again and this time I turned my eyes from the crowd to the playing field instead. A boy in ClayVontte uniform came running towards me, his helmet tucked under his arm.

A smile flashed across my face the second he got close enough to recognize. “Mike! Hey long time no see.” I greeted him enthusiastically.

“Yeah really.” He muttered with a smile. I could tell he was trying to work out exactly how long it had been. Months at least. Before Kale. Before Jakeson even. Years ago it seemed like. We gave each other bright smiles as he stopped on the opposite side of the fence. People around me booed and jeered at him as he stood and smiled at me. Stupid rivalries. “How have you been?” he finally asked, having to yell to be heard even though he was right in front of me.

“I’ve been doing great lately. You?” I asked, but I wasn’t sure if he could hear me.

“Go home!” someone behind me yelled at Mike as they threw a popcorn bag at him. He dodged it and shook his head, staring at me instead of bothering a glare at them. Behind me a few people started yelling similar things and I was shoved into roughly as someone attempted to move me from the fence so Mike would take the hint and leave.

Instantly his hands shot forward, snapping onto my shoulders and he steadied me as my body teetered, about to fall from the hard push. “Hey want to go get an ice cream with me? It’ll be easier to talk.” He asked having to yell over the obnoxious people behind me as they kept jeering, his front shoved against the metal fence as he had to hold my body put so I wouldn’t be most literally pushed to the ground.

I bit my lip thinking about it. “I probably shouldn’t.” I admitted loudly, my head already starting to pound from the yelling. It wasn’t like the enthusiastic yelling from before, from during the game. Now it was jeers, and they were hurting my head.

“I just won a game and you’re gunna deny a friendly chat?” he asked giving me puppy dog eyes.

I chuckled and sighed. “Okay fine. But I have to be home by midnight.” He was a friendly face and to be honest I wouldn’t mind a distraction as I waited for Kale to finish with whatever he was doing.