9- Makeshift Family Fun

“Really, I’ve got this covered.” I repeated for the millionth time to the woman who stood watching me intently as I gathered supplies. “I know how to cook.”

“Well I-“

“You won’t get in trouble.” I insisted, cutting her off. “Jakeson gave me permission.” Well that part was a lie but I felt it necessary. I’d woken up early just because my nerves had made me. It was the first day of school after the entire incident. Monday morning and I’d be seeing Kale again. “I can go wake him up now so he can tell you himself if you want.”

This worked like a charm and the woman shook her head. “No need to do that.” She gave a long look before picking up her apron. “I’m coming in tomorrow.”

I nodded. “I’m not taking your job.”

The woman gave a little nod before scurrying from the kitchen. I’m glad the help at home wasn’t that persistent. With a triumphant smile I finished grabbing all of the supplies and set them out across the counter. “Where to start?” I muttered to myself as I looked down at all the materials.

I wasn’t exactly sure what Jakeson and Matthew liked to eat. How did they like their eggs? Did they each have special favorites? I walked through the house searching for the cooking woman I’d shooed off. To my great dismay she wasn’t anywhere is sight.

“Just great,” I huffed before working through the living room. I should have asked her first and kicked her out after.

Just as I turned the corner I stumbled, nearly bumping into Matthew as he sped down the hallway at the same time. We both caught ourselves seconds before crashing into each other, our arms darting out and hands landing on each other’s shoulders. “Rein!” he breathed in relief as we released each other and let out a few little laughs.

“Have you ever heard of walking?” I asked as I smoothed my skirt down.

He didn’t answer and instead said, “You’re dressed.” His eyes scanned over me, looking disappointed as he took in my school uniform.

“You’re not,” I stated, slightly surprised, as I eyed him standing there in his pajama pants and tight tee t-shirt.

Matthew pursed his lips as he scanned me a few more times. “It’s morning,” he said finally turning his eyes to meet mine, “we’re supposed to be in pajamas.”

I furrowed my brow as I counted the days. It was definitely Monday. “We have school don’t we?” I asked suddenly feeling stupid. Had I really just gotten up early and dressed for school, fretting the entire time about seeing Kale today I might add, for it to be a vacation day?

“Yeah,” he nodded. “But not for like two hours.”

I sighed in relief and ran my hand through my hair that I’d let go slightly wavy today. Kale had always loved it when I didn’t straighten it. I shook him from my mind and asked, “Why are you up so early?”