Chapter 7: Need

JADE’S POV

I couldn’t take it anymore.  I was too tired, too nervous.  I had been walking for hours looking for someone . . . anyone.  No rest, just searching.  I could feel their presence.  I just couldn’t find them.

Maybe I should stop to eat something.   Last night I had gotten a satchel full of some necessities including two packs of biscuits but I hadn’t studied the contents carefully yet.  I wondered if I could stop and do that now . . . No, no time for that.  I had to keep searching. Keep searching . . . There were suddenly black dots swimming around my vision . . . I felt dizzy and sweaty and . . . I blacked out.

                                                                         *   *   *

I was just coming to when I heard a scream and felt something heavy fall on top of me.

“Ouch” I mumbled opening my eyes to see a really pretty bronze skinned girl with an afro slowly getting off of me.

“I am so sorry.” She said as she stood, “I must have tripped over you . . . I am such a klutz.” She had a high melodic voice.   She held out her hand to help me up.

Just as I was getting to my feet another girl came speeding up and stopped dead when she spotted us.  This girl had curves I wish I could somehow obtain and cute flowing curly brown hair.  She was also pretty.

It took a while for my brain to catch up on what was going on then I realized that they were people.   Not just any people though, they were exactly who I was looking for.  I did not know how I knew but it just felt right.  I felt like I belonged with them . . . like we were some sort of team or something.

 “Erm, hi . . . me, me name’s Jade.  Jade Thirlwall.” I said anxious to get myself acquainted with them yet extremely nervous of what they’d think of me.  I was never good at fitting in or making friends.

The darker girl looked a bit confused.  “Hi I‘m Leigh-Anne Pinnock and that’s Jesy Nelson but we’d best be leaving now.”   She gave Jesy a look, “I’m fine don’t worry you can go.”

Jesy stared at me and Leigh-Anne for some time then reluctantly turned around and left from where she came.  I felt a jolt of panic.  She wasn’t supposed to be going anywhere.  We should stick together.  I felt like hyperventilating but tried to keep my cool as Leigh-Anne was still here studying me.

Then she cleared her throat as if to get my attention, “Well it’s been nice meeting you Jade but I’m gonna go now.”  She nodded at me then started to walk off in the opposite direction from where Jesy was headed.  She was leaving me.  I was going to be alone again!

I did not know what to do.  I felt like I was supposed to be with them both yet they were splitting up.  I felt like I had found the people I have been mentally stalking for all this time.  But I was losing them as soon as I found them.  I felt my eyes well up with tears. 

“Erm . . .” I started saying but she had already walked off some.

I looked around and then decided to follow her.  I really didn’t know what else to do.  I knew for a fact that I’d fall into a bout of shaking and crying if I let her go.  I wasn’t sure why but I could already feel the tears falling.

“Hey, Leigh-Anne, wait up please.” I started chasing after her.

She wasn’t stopping.  She started walking faster. 

“Please, please.  Don’t go!” I was full on crying now and that made her hesitate.  But she was still walking away from me.

I sat on the ground.  There was no use.  I couldn’t force her to stay with me.  I couldn’t do anything right.  I brought my knees up to my chest and buried my head in them trying to stop the shaking.  I acknowledged the fact that it had stopped as soon as Leigh-Anne and Jesy were in my presence and started back as soon as they left.