Chapter 12: New Plan

JADE'S POV

It must have been hours we spent in that cave together. It was really cold now and the four of us were wrapped up in two blankets; the one that I got from last night and the one Leigh-Anne got from the night before.

We'd spent the whole time chatting and getting to know each other. We'd had a snack of the two packs of biscuits I got and water Leigh-Anne and I got from the stream earlier as we'd got canteens from our knapsacks. So I felt a lot better and not nearly as tired as I did before when we'd lost those creatures.

I wasn't sure how long we'd been there exactly but in that space of time we'd learned so much about each other. I felt like I'd known them my whole life and like I wouldn't be able to live without them. Perrie was just adorable. She was actually a year younger than I was and just a little bundle of happiness. She loved food and was a horrible morning person.

Jesy was spunky and full of inappropriate jokes. I was not used to being around such a dirty minded person but I found her cute and hilarious. She was also really kind which might be a bit surprising because of all her cheek.

And then there was Leigh-Anne who I'd been with the longest yet as we were all together I realized that she might be one of the sweetest and most caring people in the world. She was concerned about everyone and was willing to put herself at a discomfort to make someone else feel better.

They were all so lovely that even though I was cold and soaking wet I was smiling.

"Okay, girls. That's enough chitter-chatter. We need to figure out what to do next." Jesy suddenly said after we'd had a laugh at her amazing impression of an angry Scottish man.

"Yeah, it doesn't seem there are any other contestants . . . and if that's true there is no way any of us would win 'cause we're sticking together." Leigh-Anne said.

"Yeah, but I think this isn't a competition at all . . ." Jesy added. "This might be some sort of sick test and I feel like we're supposed to work together."

"I think we have to work together too." I said, "I mean they can't expect us to just get rid of each other. And I don't think they'll really try to pick us off one by one."

"Oh no! What if they do pick us off one by one?" screeched Leigh-Anne.

"I can't deal with losing you guys!" Perrie suddenly yelled.

We all started talking over each other, not even fully understanding what each said. A round object suddenly rolled in from the opening of the cave. It was about the size of a tennis ball.

"Erm, guys?" I interrupted all the swapping opinions and pointed to the ball. It had stopped near Jesy's foot.

"What is it?" Jesy asked.

I shrugged as she tentatively poked it. As soon as she made contact it opened up and there was a piece of folded paper inside. Jesy trained the flashlight on to the paper and read what it said out loud.

"Dear girls, you have completed the first part of your mission: bringing your team together despite the odds and specific instructions saying not to do so. Now you must complete the second phase: successfully shutting down this entire forest and all the warriors in it. You must complete this by six a.m tomorrow morning. Hint: To shut the forest down you must find the red button which lies within the tunnels."

We were all silent for a moment as we took this all in.

"I guess that settles it." Leigh-Anne mumbled. "But um what tunnel? And how do we find it?"

Jesy and I both shrugged.

"I think they mean the tunnel at the back of the cave." Perrie said abruptly.

We all looked at her as she pointed my flashlight at the back wall of the cave and trained it until it reached a hole in the corner where the rock wall curved in and met with the side wall. I was surprised that I didn't notice it before. It was a big enough hole. We would all fit through if we crawled on all fours.

"Woah Pez, good observation." Jesy gave Perrie a high-five.

We were all silent again staring at the opening to the tunnel wondering what lay ahead. We had approximately seven hours to find that red button and shut this place down so we could finally get out. I could feel butterflies roaming about my tummy.

"I guess we should do this then," I whispered loud enough for them to hear.