Chapter 2: Competition?

LEIGH-ANNE’S POV

I was awakened by a shattering screech; “ATTENTION ALL CONTESTANTS!! YOU ARE NOW GOING TO FIND OUT WHICH OF YOU CAN SURVIVE IN THE WILD!!! THE LAST PERSON LEFT ALIVE WOULD BE CROWNED THE WINNER OF THE BROKEN GAMES!!!”

The voice was coming from the sky and –wait, what am I doing outside?

“EVERY DAY THEY WILL VOTE FOR A FAVOURITE CONTESTANT AND THE PERSON WITH THE MOST VOTES GETS SOMETHING THAT THEY NEED DESPERATELY.  BY THE WAY THERE ARE SOME DANGERS PUT IN PLACE TO MAKE THIS MORE INTERESTING . . . GOOD LUCK TO ALL CONTESTANTS!!”  The voice laughed in a way that sent shivers down my spine.

My stomach dropped to my toes.  What was this? Was I thrown into some sort of sick game?

I surveyed the area around me.  It was all grass and trees.  I couldn’t see anyone else.  That’s when I knew that this was it.  The thing I was dreading for so long.  I was going to die here.

There was no way I could survive in the wild. I’m the biggest klutz ever.  But I suppose I had to try.  At least try even though I knew I would most likely die.

PERRIE’S POV

I was scared.  I didn’t know where I was or how I got there.  I just sat in one position behind a tree, thinking about what the voice said.  Survival?  I did not understand.  Today was supposed to be the day I find what completes me.  What I’ve been excitedly anticipating for almost a week now.

How is anyone supposed to find a boyfriend in this kind of place?

This stupid game could not be it.  Even though I camped regularly with my dad when I was younger, I was far too athletically challenged to actually survive in the wild.

What was this anyway?   Where was this?  Who was doing this?  Why me?

Even though I was panicking I still felt like there was something amazing happening.  I couldn’t be discouraged.  I was always able to see the positive side of things.  This should be no different.  I had to get out of this so that I can find who completes me.

I grinned to myself pushing my blonde hair out of my eyes and standing up. Still in a good mood.

JESY POV

“NO!” I screamed when the announcement was finished.   I started cursing under my breath. This had to be a mistake.  What the hell was this anyway?  Some sick joke?  It had to be a joke.  People don’t just abduct people and drop them in the wild. . . Did they?  And to make a game out of it? 

Who the hell was watching anyway?  Nobody is going to find this funny.  I’d definitely never heard of this show so it could not be successful.  Pffft.  The Broken Games.

I have a job and family and friends.  Uhg, who am I kidding I had no friends besides the boys I dance with between my shifts at work.  But still whoever was doing this has no right to uproot me from my home and my life to put me here.

I was in the process of standing when everything went white and I saw a flash of the blonde girl from my dream.  What was that?  The next thing I know I was staring at the ground but standing.

How strange . . .

JADE’S POV

This is not happening.   This is NOT happening.  I can’t . . . I can’t do this.

I was crying.  I just felt so useless.  I was useless.  I felt week and afraid . . . not to mention alone.  I needed them, whoever they are to help calm my nerves.  I can’t do this by myself.

I’m usually a very quick thinker, someone who was good at solving problems but I was definitely not myself lately.  I was behaving like a thirteen year old on period but could not help it.  I was just so emotional and . . . I don’t even know.

I sighed and tried to calm down.  I looked at my surroundings. 

It did not look so bad.  There was a stream and a few trees.  I sat up.  Hmm . . . I was at the bottom of a slope leaning against a tree.  Surviving here did not look too hard.  All I needed was a food source . . .  And maybe some company.  I sniffed and looked down at my small shaking hands.  Well the voice said there were other contestants . . .