CHAPTER 8: Alone

JESY’S POV 

I felt like I was dying on the inside.  Every step I took away from them was accompanied by another tear drop on the rough ground.

I shouldn’t have been surprised when I saw the small girl with the brown eyes from my dream but I was.  Seeing her stand next to Leigh-Anne gave me such a feeling of familiarity.  It was like it was all meant to be.  Like we were supposed to be together.

Since leaving Leigh-Anne I’d had a bunch of visions but none of them were that gruesome.  They were mostly of the four of us –Leigh-Anne, Jade, the blonde and me hugging smiling laughing.  We all looked so happy.  It was weird.

I had also had some visions of the blonde.  She was just lying there as if unconscious yet making small moaning noises as if in pain.  The sight did not make me cry like the last time although that might have been because I was already crying but it still left me unsettled with a feeling like I had to do something about it.

I didn’t understand my own emotions.  It was very unusual for me to meet someone –someone who I dreamt about for that matter –and suddenly become so attached to them that I felt lost . . . Like I was missing a leg when they were no longer around.

I sighed as another vision clouded my mind.  I was getting the hang of anticipating when they were coming so I could stop moving to avoid falling and hurting myself.

It was the blonde again.  She was still in the same position, only she seemed to be awake now.  She was sobbing softly still clutching her belly.  This time I could clearly see her surroundings.  She seemed to be in a foggy forest where it was dark even when the sun shone.  The trees were too thick to let any light penetrate.  She was trying to get up but she couldn’t.  She could hardly move.  Then she started calling for help but her voice was too soft and there was nobody around to hear her.

When I came back to reality I felt this desperate feeling of needing to help the girl.  I was pretty convinced that she did exist but as to whether she was really dying I had no idea.  Hmmmm.  I was not sure what do to.  How does one tell the difference between reality and imagination when they suddenly run so close together?  I must be clearly crazy or something.

*      *     *

LEIGH-ANNE’S POV

Jade was a lot softer-spoken than Jesy.  She was also more respectful.  While Jesy said many rude things Jade was sort of innocent.   She was also really small.  Not that much smaller than I was even though I’m close to average size but something about the way she was made her seem young.  She was like someone you saw on Disney.

“Jade how old are you?” I asked her as I filled my water bottle from a small stream.  Jade was keen and seemed to pick up the layout of this place quickly as she was able to lead me here quite effortlessly.  She also had a knapsack just like mine which meant she probably won the prize from last night.

“I’m 18.  How ‘bout you?”

I nearly dropped my bottle. Eighteen . . . She was just a year younger than I was.  I mean I knew she wasn’t twelve but I was thinking more along the lines of possibly sixteen for the most.

“I’m nineteen.  You look a lot younger.”

“I get that a lot.” She sighed. “I still think we need to go find Jesy.  What if something’s happening to her?  What if she gets hurt?”

I gulped because thinking of Jesy being by herself out here and hurt made bile rise to my throat.  “I think she’s fine,” I lied.  “Jesy’s a big girl, she can take care of herself. . .”

I could only hope I was right.  But I knew that I’d most likely never see her again.  I mentally memorized everything about her from her pretty hazel eyes to the way she scrunched up her nose when she did her Scottish accent.  God, I really hated myself for not listening to Jade but I had to keep my head on.

JESY’S POV

I felt like I was losing my mind.

I was running for a reason I did not know.  I felt like something was suddenly wrong.  I just started running.  My legs were taking me somewhere.  I had no idea what was happening.  I took in my surroundings and I was searching for something.  The trees were becoming taller and thicker.  It looked kind of dark.

Then I heard it.  A soft murmur.  I stopped running.  I stopped moving.  The whole scene seemed familiar.  The darkness, the noises . . . It was just like the vision . . .  My breathing then became shallow because if this was like the vision then –I took a couple steps then emerged from behind a huge tree.

And there she was, curled up on the ground, clutching her stomach.  The blonde girl I had seen so many times but never met.  I instinctively felt a pang of worry and concern like I had when Leigh-Anne was crying and I ran up to the blonde hovering over her wondering what I should do.