Chapter 9: After the First Mission and Ranks

Battle over. Emotions returned.

After an hour or so, Alicia and Owen stood over the scattered remains of the defeated skeleton goblins decorating the red wasteland with even more broken bones. They lost count of how many skeleton goblins they defeated and Owen did most of the work.

"Haa..." With the suppression lifted, Alicia sighed melancholy. Why? Well, the only word that could describe how she felt was... conflicted. Even so, there must be a better word to describe her predicament.

---

"Why are they called Vengeful Remnants and their lord is called the Lord of Vengeance?" Alicia asked. "It is as if their existence is to take revenge?"

Both Owen and Aqua went silent to which Alicia noted. And for some reason, Voice kept silent.

"To answer your question," Aqua spoke. "You need to know what AGP stands for."

"AGP?" If Alicia recalled, Aqua had mentioned that the Lord of Vengeance would return in the year 300 'AGP'.

"It is short for After the Great Persecution."

"...What?"

"In Kaomagi, there are three races named based on the deities they served who created them. But informally, they are called humans; demi-humans, like half-animals, elves, and dwarves; and 'demons,' like ogres, trolls, ... and goblins."

"..!"

"I see you have a general idea of it. Yes, at some point in time, aptly referred to as year zero AGP, with the help and command from their deity, the human race had committed genocide against the 'demons' and the human deity even killed the 'demon' deity.

"However, for reasons even we do not know, the deity of the 'demons' refused to die and became the Lord of Vengeance, and his children became the Vengeful Remnants.

"In the name of revenge against those who wronged them, they ravaged the entire world, even killing the human deity. However, they also dragged the demi-humans with them too.

"And at that time, the Otherworldly Court that had just been formed half a century prior stepped foot into Kaomagi, where the humans and demi-humans led by the last remaining deity, Eria, were in a desperate struggle to repel the Lord of Vengeance and his Vengeful Remnants."

"And they helped to defeat the Lord of Vengeance?"

"Yes, it took over half of the Court Wizards and all eleven Guardians, the First Guardians, to push back the Vengeful Remnants and seal the Lord of Vengeance inside the red wasteland."

"Only sealing him? So can he not be defeated permanently?"

"...He can be killed for good but... the First Guardians decided not to."

"...Why?"

"By letting the Lord of Vengeance rise once every century, he became a reminder of the Great Persecution and a warning for those who seek to harm others based on their birth. That was the First Guardians' plan.

"The Last Deity Eria even accepted the proposal and took the humans as if they were her children. She likely agreed with her experience before the Great Persecution, and it was her also called the Great Persecution its name and has her church to preach about anti-discriminatory practices.

"The result? Kaomagi has become a world with multiple sapient species with ALMOST no discrimination between races. Since then, WE have yet to find another world with racial tolerance of Kaomagi's level. For example, even though it is the humans who caused it, they were still treated equally with the demi-humans. The pope of Eria's church, our Life Guardian, Gabriel, is human."