Chapter 2: The Otherworldly Court

PIING

The Otherworldly Court

Year 1421

As the light died down and the high-pitched sound turned low, Alicia was met with dimness.

Turning to her side, Owen was there, thankfully. But he was still gravely injured, yet acted as if he was the picture of health. As much as she wanted to get him to be treated immediately, he did tell her not to worry. He had used ice magic, as he called it, to cover the stab wounds, preventing blood loss. So, Alicia will trust his judgment, hoping that none of his organs were damaged.

Gazing down, Alicia was standing on a circular platform. It looked wooden... well, the color anyway. She had softly tapped the platform with her shoe and it felt metallic, hence she looked down first. Focusing her sight, the circle was split into multiple layers of smaller circles with each layer engraved with a similar set of some sort of runic arrays.

Looking around, Alicia was in a small circular room, though definitely wider than her room in her small mansion.

The room was poorly lit, the only source of light were those monitors around the wall. Wait, those monitors did not have a physical frame around them! It was just a holographic screen floating mid-air, like in those sci-fi movies.

Looking up, there was a second floor. Alicia could see this because there was an open space in the middle of said floor. There were railings around the edges to prevent falling, it was perpendicular to the perimeter of the 'wooden' circle Alicia was standing on. She did not see any stairs to go up the second floor, it was probably outside this circular room.

Alicia looked at the hovering screens again. Below them were curved desks. There were about four of these desks, and each desk contained six holographic monitors. A similar setup was present on the second floor. There were people in lab coats operating each desk.

And all of them are staring at her and Owen.

"Welcome back, Owen." One of the operators greeted, then he looked at Alicia. "Is that girl the new Court Wizard?"

"Court Wizard?" Alicia muttered.

"It's what we call ourselves, Alicia," Owen explained. "Yeah, she is." He looked at the operator that asked.

In an initiative, Alicia made a bow. "My name is Alicia Bell," she greeted, "nice to meet you."

"Bell?" Another operator quipped.

"Yeah, she is." Owen went silent for a moment and then had the look as if he had forgotten something. "Crap, I forgot to tell him. John, notify him for me."

"Sure," the operator named John replied and turned his swivel chair back.

Who?

"By the Mother Souls! Owen, what happened to your back!?" a female operator shouted, pointing out Owen's frozen bloody shirt.

"Uh... recruitment process," Owen excused. He suddenly grabbed Alicia's hand but then paused. "I'll bring her out."

"H-Hey, Owen!" Alicia exclaimed in surprise as Owen pushed her back out of the room. He probably opted for that instead of having Alicia see his back.

"Will he be fine?" the same female operator asked.

"Ah, that's right. You're new here," an older operator said. "Yeah, he'll be fine. He's been much worse."