Chapter 1.1: An Unusual Morning - Part One

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Why are my hands getting warmer?" Alicia Bell wondered as she stared at her two hands. "It has been a week since I am like this, why?"

And for the whole week, she felt her body temperature was rising by several degrees than normal. She thought that she caught a bad fever or something but...

She pulled the neck of her red nightwear and rummaged inside it to take out an electric thermometer resting in her armpit. "Still thirty-seven degrees..." the girl muttered, staring at the display in celsius.

As the most accurate and cheapest device she procured showed a discrepant value, she thought of sleeping the whole night with the thermometer - she was confident that she wouldn't break it in her sleep. However, it still showed the same result.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alicia sighed as she put the thermometer to the table beside her bed and stared at her surroundings.

Her room was, for the lack of a better term, economical. It was a relatively wide room with a red theme. It consisted of a double-sized bed, a desk for study, a wardrobe and many others that you would find in a young lady's room that was arranged in such a way that it made the room even more spacious. Incidentally, all of it was centuries older than the current occupant, these were old relics that still kept their quality after repainted red.

Well, there is no time to find out now, she thought as she grabbed the remote for the air conditioner, set to the coldest possible temperature despite the snow having yet to melt in this month of March, and pressed the power button. Laying it down while getting out of the bed, she felt soft fabric on her bare feet.

"Ah." Looking down, Alicia glanced at the blanket that she had tossed away. Calmly, she lifted the blanket up and laid it neatly on her bed before slotting her two feet into the slippers beneath it.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Grabbing her smartphone that has been alarming her to wake up and turning it off, she checked the time. It was still early, but a girl like her needed more time to get ready anyway.

Standing up, she took her school uniform, a white buttoned shirt, a red skirt that reached her knees, black leggings, and a red blazer out of her wardrobe and walked out of her room.

---

"The water still stings," Alicia muttered as she tapped the showerhead.

It was another unusual thing that's happened to her. For some reason, she felt an uncomfortable sensation when the water from the shower came into contact with her light and healthy skin; the same thing also happens when drinking too. It was like pressing your hand softly against a board with thousands of tightly spaced needles sticking out. Just like it wouldn't hurt to touch them all at once, the sting from the running water was ignorable. Except it was not to be ignored at all.

Sighing again, Alicia got out of the shower, her naked body wrapped in a towel, and went over to the sink. Taking a toothbrush and pushing toothpaste out of the tube, she gazed at the reflection of herself in the mirror.

Standing around 160 cm, she was already at the average height for an adult woman at the age of fifteen nearing sixteen, she was bound to get taller. She inherited her mother's facial features and most importantly, her bright blue eyes like a clear lake. As for her hair, she didn't really prefer any particular hairstyle and simply let it down to her waist; her mother had a vibrant blonde hair while her father had dark red, those genes had somehow resulted in their daughter attaining a bright red hair like a burning flame, but perhaps the brighter red color came from her grandfather on her mother's side's platinum blonde hair.