I knew you could do it (Max Verstappen x Reader)

When my relationship with Max Verstappen started, it was like a dream come true, and we both thought we would leave happily ever after. At first everything was good between us, but then the fights started. There was a lot of screaming and yelling, and the two of us were sick of it, so we broke up. 

After that, I started seeing other people, the most recent one being Jake. At first the relationship wasn't meant to be serious since we met when we intended to have a one night stand, but we both ended up enjoying it so much that we decided to have a few dates, obviously not lacking sex. What he didn't tell me changed my life forever. 

Two months after we stopped seeing each other, I started getting very strong coughing. At first I wasn't really worried about it, but when it got more serious I went to the doctor. At first he thought I had asthma, which was pretty uncommon to develop for someone of my age, but after some testing, he found out I got HIV. 

It destroyed me. I was so angry at Jake, not because he gave me the HIV, but because he wasn't bothered to tell me or the other girls he had sex with, that he had it. That day, when I went home, I sat on my bed and thought about everything. I wasn't stupid, I knew I was almost to the stage where I would officially be diagnosed with AIDS, and I knew I wouldn't last long. 

So with the time I had left, I decided to fix most of the relationship with friends or family I had ended on a bad note with. I managed to reconnect with my mum and dad, and my brother. I talked with my ex friends, and we managed to clear things up about the past. 

One person whom I really didn't want to remember me by our last conversation was Max. I hadn't talked to him since he breakup, but I figured it was now or never. Literally. After all, a year had gone by. I sighed, got my phone out and texted him. 

Hey, I know we haven't talked in a long time, but I was wondering if I could come over to your place and discuss everything. We don't have to forgive each other, but I was hoping to fix whatever I could. I completely understand if you can't/don't want to. 

Surprisingly, the response came after a few moments 

Hey Y/n. Yeah, I'd be down to talk a bit. Come to my house at 7pm. 

(Time skip) 

I stood in front of his door. I took a deep breath and knocked twice. The door opened immediately, and there stood Max, looking as cute as always. He gave me a slight smile and invited me inside. We both sat down on the table, opposite each other.

"hey" I said shyly 

"hey" he replied 

"So, how are you?"

" I'm good, you?"

"Uhhh, ok I Guess"

The atmosphere was definitely really awkwardly, and we both looked down. "We once had something going on, and I'm not saying we should get back together-" "you broke my heart Y/n" "and you broke mine" I replied sternly. "All those times you said you loved me, was that a lie?" He asked. My mouth fell open "of course not, why would you ever think that?" I said. 

"I started to think that when we started fighting." He stated. "Why? Couples fight, all the time. Why would I have suddenly stopped loving you?" I asked, a bit louder. "You act a lot like the victim when you were the one to ruin my life". "Me ruined your life? Tell me, how did I ruin your life? Don't you think we broke up for the best?" "You knee what you were doing-" "Max, not everything is about you, no one goes and plots to break your heart"

"I see you didn't chance" he said rudely. "And neither did you. I still have to deal with an immature child. Grow up Max!" I rebutted. "Why do you act like you were the one whose life was torn to pieces?-" "Max" "Why do you feel like you need to talk about it now, not then?-" "BECAUSE I'M DYING MAX!" I yelled, way louder than I intended it to be. 

I sighed and went silent. "What do you mean y/n?" He asked. "Nothing... it's really nothing... forget it." I said quietly. "No Y/n, it's not nothing! You think I didn't notice your weight loss or your pale skin. What's happening?" I took  deep breath. "After we broke up, I started seeing people. None of them really worked out, but during a one night stand, this prick Jake didn't tell me he had HIV and I had to find out by myself"

Max didn't say anything, so I continued "it's pretty close to becoming aids. I'm taking all the drugs I have been proscribed with, but there is a high chance I won't make it. If it all goes wrong, I have about five years left, if not, I can live a normal life or even somehow get rid of it all together."

"y/n, I'm sorry-" I held my hand out to stop him "no. I don't need your sympathy, or anyone else's really. I tried to fix this , but obviously it won't happen" I said as I got up. "Y/n-" "thank you for giving me a chance. Thank you for everything Max." I started heading to the door when I felt a hand on my shoulder from behind me and I was spun around, 

I was about to express my confusion when I felt soft lips on mine. Max held me gently, seemingly scared to accidentally break me like a ceramic doll. "And I'm willing to make the best of it" he said breathlessly when we pulled out. 

(Time skip- 3 years)

I moved in with Max after we got back together. He had promised to be at my side until things got worse, so I sold my old place to love with him. It had been almost four years after the initial diagnosis, and three years since we started dating again. My health had improved a lot, even though there still was a low chance of survival or curing it, I felt like a normal person. I had taken a test a few days ago, which would give me and the doctor an estimate of how strong the virus had gotten. 

We were both sitting down on the couch and opening mail. Every week, Max was sent a ton of fan mail, which made me chuckle. I finished reading the thank you letter from a local charity and  leaned on my boyfriend thinking I was done. Max handed me a brown letter "this ones for you" he said. I looked at the logo in the corner. It said Theodore the III hospital. "I think it's the result Max."

He grabbed my hand "no matter how strong it is, I will never stop loving you" he reassured me. I nodded and opened the letter with trembling hands. I breathed in and out And read It. 

"Dear Ms Y/n L/n

We are very pleased to inform you that after testing your sample multiple times, we found that you now HIV or AIDS free. We think it's because we detected the original traces in time, despite the fact that we originally thought it was too late. Please come to the hospital in two weeks to claim new legal documents to confirm that you are now completely healthy. On behalf of Doctor Smith and his Team, we can confirm that you should stop taking the drugs since they aren't needed any longer. 

We are very happy to have helped you and we shall see you very soon. 

Dr Landrige"

I froze, and dropped the letter. "What is it? Y/n?" He asked. It was as if I forgot how to speak. He got the letter and read it. "Oh my god" I says in tears. We both engulfed each other in a huge hug. I sobbed from happiness in his arms, while he continuously whispered "I knew you could do it". 

We both pulled out and I dried my tears, while he kissed my forehead. "We should celebrate" I said in a trembling voice from crying so much. Max didn't say anything. He got up, went to our room and came back holding something behind his back. I sat on the couch, confused, until he got to one knee and held out a small box. 

"Oh my god" I said. "I was planning on asking later this month, but I couldn't wait. Y/n, I have loved you since I set my eyes on you for the first time. Will you give me the honour to be your husband? Will you marry me?"

"Do you even need to ask?" I said. He put the ring on my finger, picked me up in a hug and spun me around. He put me down and I rushed to get my phone, eager to tell my friends and family about the double good news. 

I know this one was pretty unrealistic, but I said "mehhhh fuck it". Hope yall like it!