[platonic] Elephant in the room (Multiple Drivers x Lesbian! Reader)

Summary: everything goes wrong at one time. Y/n has to go to a press conference in pain from her period and the cherry on top of the cake is that a few days ago she just came out as lesbian. She's the elephant in the room for once. 

Y/n POV

I laid on my bed groaning in pain and clutching my stomach. I hated it I hated everything about it, the way that I had no choice in it and the fact that I didn't even want to children in the first place. The complaining was useless. I was having my period and I just had to face it.

The worst thing about it was that in a few short minutes, I would have needed to head to the press conference. I knew shit was going to go down, especially since a few days before I officially came out as a lesbian. I wasn't ashamed or even embarrassed, but I was very proud. Sometimes press conferences would get very random and informal, which would not be a necessarily good thing.

For example, Max got pissed off by a reporter who asked him why he crashed so much. Lewis became irritated when they asked him a question about a private conversation, which they obviously eavesdropped on. There were walkouts, arguing and insults. Kimi had a whole compilation on YouTube of interview moments where he obviously was being a bratty boomer.

And then there was me. I always kept my cool and professional. If someone said something to annoy me I would simply destroy them with facts. But I had a feeling today it wouldn't be the same. As I walked to the conference, I held my stomach and I almost limped. I walked in and took my seat, laying my head on the table as i waited for the other drivers and the rest of the journalists to arrive.

Charles sat next to me, and he poked at my shoulder to see if I was still alive, and needless to say that I wasn't too happy about it. I sat up and looked around, almost growling in anger "who the fuck- oh it's you" I interrupted myself when I realised it was him. "You look like you've been through hell and back" he said. I groaned and dropped my head down "it's worrrrrseee" I complained.

"I don't wanna be that person, but today I don't wanna be here" I said "first I have to deal with my coming out publicly, which I didn't even think about to reflect on the date. And now I'm on my period". Someone sat at the other side of me "okaayyy let's pretend I didn't hear that" I turned around and Max was there, looking as miserable as always. Comparing to me, he never wanted to be there, ever.

"Max you're not a little kid anymore. Please stop stigmatising periods, because they're a normal part of my life and billions of others too." I said, obviously starting to get irritated. "Geez why so irritated- oh wait. It's your first day" he smirked. I rubbed my eyes and muttered "genius".

"Ok so you're gay. I don't see the problem"

Charles said. "I'm not just gay, I'm the biggest lesbian you've probably ever met. I'm stealing your girlfriend tonight" I said. We all laughed and finally all reporters came in. 

"Let's get this show on and off the rails" I said to myself, as I noticed also Lando coming in. "Sorry I'm late," he mumbled, sitting next to the other side of Charles "there were a bunch of fans". I sat up and eyed him "if you were rude to them I swear-" I said but he interrupted me. "No, don't worry. They were asking about you actually. There were a lot of women your age".

"Haha very funny" I said sarcastically "I come out as a lesbian and now suddenly women are into me. I'm so scared to even speak to one". "Why?" "Bad teenage years. I would literally ask a straight girl where the bathroom was and she would be like 'oMg CaN yOu StOp HiTtInG oN mE i'M uNcOmFoRtAbLe' but when a guy would actually hit on her she wouldn't stop talking about it".

Lando looked me up and down, Charles in between the two of us listening very awkwardly. "Are you-" "yes I am on my fucking period and it is my first day of cramps" I said pretty loudly. "Ok guys we're gonna begin now" said the main reporter. We all composed ourselves and I did my best to hide my pain.

"So first off we're gonna address the elephant in the room" said another reporter "so Y/n, you recently came out as a lesbian on your social media, how did you find the support you got?". I cleared my throat "well obviously, only a few members of my team and a couple of fellow drivers knew, and if they didn't they could most likely tell" I said, making a few people laugh around the room "but you know, I appreciate everyone who supports me or didn't change their views on me just because of my sexual orientation. Other than that, I'm just doing my thing. Indeed this was a big step in my career, but it was a good one. We really need more inclusivity in this sport, which is predominantly made out of cisgender heterosexual white men. Nothing against you boys"

The whole room erupted in chuckles again as Lando leaned into his mic and said "none taken". The rest of the conference went on pretty smoothly, and by then my cramps had disappeared almost as a whole. Before all the drivers headed back to their drivers' rooms, they got approached by journalists by major sports outlets, but luckily I already said enough during my press conference so I didn't need to do it.

I was approached by a very good looking reporter with bleached platinum blonde hair and natural makeup, which I recognised from a question earlier. She seemed really shy "I just wanted to thank you for answering my question in such great detail. My boss will love it". 

I smiled and said "you're welcome. I look forward to seeing you again" without showing my inner panic. She suddenly turned around and said she had to go before waving me goodbye and running off. 

But my gaze was still fixated and unmoving on the spot where she stood that I only snapped out of it once Charles snapped his fingers in front of my face.