29

There are boxes everywhere. It's really early in the morning, like 6 o'clock. We had to get an early start. Adrian and Jeanette started opening some of them and they carried a bunch to the rooms already but there are still at least two dozen boxes just downstairs, unopened."Jeez Hailey. How much crap do you need?" Anna asks. I'm happy she's talking to me. We finally had a breakthrough. We had one more falling out before we both realized how stupid we are being for holding onto the past.I roll my eyes and playfully hit her. I introduce everyone to eachother and we create an assembly line to carry all the boxes up. They are all in the hallway and I thankfully open up the paint first.Caleigh walks over. "Purple?" she raises her eyebrows. Everyone else walks over."Well, I didn't want to go with traditional colors. Blue and pink is so boring and if they are anything like me, especially the girl, she'll hate pink and love purple." I smile. Everyone looks at me. "Ok well I don't care what you think. It's a nice lavender color. And for the boy..." I look for inside the bag. I pull out a light green. "Green."Justin shakes his head at me and grabs the rollers and trays. "So much for hating green." This catches me off guard. He remembers I hate green? I smile to myself and help gather the supplies to paint.Justin, Adrian, Caleigh and Janice go to paint the boys room. Jeanette, Anna, Matt and I paint the girls room. After that we start unloading more boxes and decorate. It takes a total of 5 hours to get both rooms done.I step back and look. The rooms are right next to eachother and I can't help but tear up in happiness at the work. Jeanette walks up and gives me a half hug. Justin walks over and kisses my forehead. He puts his arm around me once Jeanette is done holding me and I lean my head into his shoulder.Girls room:purple+nurseryBoys room:IMG_8427"They'll probably want to change it when they're older but right now it's perfect." I love being waited on. No one wants me to stand up or hurt myself in any way. I'm fine but they don't want to "strain me." Fine by me. I've been sitting on the couch for hours after we finished the rooms.Anna walks in and offers me a glass of water. I take it.A half hour later, I have to go to the bathroom. I stand and they all shout no and for me to sit. "Do you guys want to help me pee?" everyone sits back down as I say that. I crack up laughing. "Idiots." I say under my breath. But I love those idiots.First I'm going to put my glass but in the kitchen. I need to do something on my own. As I'm about to turn the corner into the kitchen, my phone rings. I pick up without reading the caller ID."Hello?" I turn around and no one is looking at me. Thankfully. They have their eyes on my 24/7 since I'm almost 8 months (2 WEEKS!!!). It's refreshing to not be watched."Ms. Johnson?" I hear a familiar voice ask. I can't quite place the voice though."It's Detective Gates." I forgot all about him! I let that incident go. No use in staying angry when there is gonna be two new reasons to smile in a month. He sounds serious. "We found his partner."Everything freezes. Time, my breathing, my heart. I drop the glass without even realizing.It only takes me a second to recover. "Y-you f-found him?" I can't believe it."Yes.""This is great! He's gonna tell us where the other guy is and they'll be locked away for life, right?!" I can't hide the excitement in my voice. I keep talking until he eventually has to scream in my ear."We can't lock him up. We can't charge him with anything and he won't tell us where the partner is."I can't handle this. I fall onto the floor with my hands covering my face. I begin to cry into my hands. I don't care how dramatic I'm being. No one knows what I could possibly feel right now."So what are you saying?" I say once i'm able to speak."We have to let him go."