He firmly closed his eyes. It's been ten years since the day his heart died but the memory stayed so fresh in his mind. He tried so hard to forget about it.

Ten years ago...

”Veronica, let’s talk.” he begged as he grabbed her wrist. Veronica quickly waved it off.

She went missing for one whole week. He was worried like hell. And now, she was acting like she didn’t know him. What the hell is happening? He wanted to hug her so bad but she seemed like a completely different person.

She gave him a flat stare. “You got my letter, didn’t you? I’ve said it all there. What part don't you understand?”

“What letter?” he wrinkled his forehead. “If there's a problem, we can talk it out."

Veronica bit her lip but her eyes were as cold as ice. He couldn't recognize this woman anymore...

Veronica was in love with him. He knows that. He feels that. But why was she acting so stubborn? Why was she acting like there was never anything between them? What the hell happened last week?

“I want to stop." she replied.

Pain sliced through his soul and he stood in front of her speechless. That wasn't what he wanted to hear.

"I don't like you anymore. It's as simple as that. So please, stay away from me." He caught a hold of her arm just as she was turning around to walk out.

“Let go of me!” she protested.

“I-I need an explanation.” he stammered as his eyes narrowed in irritation. "You disappeared for one week, you made me worried as hell and now you're greeting me with 'I want to stop'?” He was having a hard time talking. "What in the world is this about? I can't find any reason. Why should-"

“Please, Matt,” she cut him off. “I know what kind of relationship we had. But I never promised you anything."

“Yeah, right. Except you’d love me forever.”

She smiled bitterly, "I don't love you anymore." she muttered. He felt like he was going deaf. A lump formed in his throat and he felt like he was choking.

"What's the use of a promise I no longer feel?"

“That,” his nose flared from fury and his jaws were clenched. He spoke through his gritted teeth. “Is the biggest lie I’ve ever heard.” He grabbed her arm and faced her towards him.

“You can think whatever you want. But nothing will change; everything between us is over now.”

“You promised me.” he was on the edge of crying. But he won’t cry for just a girl. Veronica is just a girl. He can die but he will never cry. He quickly wiped away the tears forming in his eyes before it had a chance to fall. “You promised.”

“I’m sorry.” was all Veronica said before releasing her arm from his hold and running towards her car. "I don't want to see you again.

His heart was shattered. The white van drove past him but he could do nothing but stand there in the rain. When it was finally out of sight, he shouted and punched the cement wall. The students merely looked at him and walked away and not one of them bothered to try and stop him. He took his rage out on the wall and with every jab his emotions rushed out. He felt the pulsing ache of his bloody fists but it was nothing compared to the one in his heart.