XXVIII

"God, my back." I stretched my back as I shuffled into the office building I've grown to subtly love. A small pop shot from my lower back and a chill ran up my spine with a following numbness. A sigh of relief left my mouth and I slumped over. It had been killing me all day like a painful itch I couldn't scratch.

"Oh my god, we haven't seen you in forever." My head lifted up to the two beings scurry over to me. I dropped my head back down with a small whimper.
I knew I wasn't prepared, and they new as well,

and didn't give a shit.

The mauled me over with bone crushing hugs and my back that I had earlier relieved of pain reverted back to it's annoying painful form.

"We missed you, you dork, you don't call." Lilah grumbled stroking my hair back. I rolled my eyes trying to pry her hand off but she stuck back onto it like a magnet.

"Because I text you dumbass." I said which was muffled since my face was being smothered into Val's chest.

"We never get to see you!" The blonde giant whined crushing me even more.

"You saw me three days ago!" I yelled into his shirt. I couldn't figure out whether they were ignoring me or couldn't even a word I was trying to say. "Will you let go of me you oaf." I pushed them off finally being able to breathe. Giggled resonated through the first floor cubicles, not surprised to the scene.

"Shouldn't you be working, nerds." I huffed pointing at them. I stuck my nose up and closed my eyes. I heard a wheeling noise and opened an eye seeing who dared to stand up. My other eye quickly opened up and narrowed at Shiro, a man who worked in financing.

I watch his arms cross and huffed himself. My playfulness had risen and I scoffed at him. He lifted an eyebrow then sept through his buzz cut.

"Oh shut up, you were doing the same thing we were doing once upon a time, now you work at a coffee shop." He stuck out his tongue then continued to raise his other hand to put an L on his forehead. A deep frown game across my face, so deep that my friends explained it was an 'upside down U." My eye twitched then stuck my nose up again.

They've all become more relaxed at work since they admitted me and my friends were 'comic relief'. Soon they began to always add their fifty cents into the mix which I enjoyed and hated at the same time. Them not being on a tight leash more, even if it was difficult for Vince to admit, increased the work ethic of the company.

"Put a sock in it Shiro, didn't you work at McDonald's before you came here." Val accused. My eyes widened at the new found fact and laughter came out of my mouth. Shiro's pale face morphed into Scarlett red, almost resembling a tomato.

He slowly descended back down to his seat, fading away from our line of vision. "You guys are ruthless." He muttered.

I chuckled before noticing Frida from the mail room walked up to me. I was confused why she was up here since she only comes up on Wednesday's and Monday's. My eyebrows drew down as my gaze shifted down to the silver envelope in her hand.

"Hey Fri, what's up? I thought I'd see you tomorrow?" I leaned onto one of the cubicles, but my elbow was slapped. I jerked back then peaked over the cubicle to glare at Ms. Dalia, but the favor was already returned. She bit her pierced lip giving a glance at the letter before looking back up to me.

"Yeah, but I heard all the commotion, I figured you were here." She spun the stiff paper around her finger before giving it to me. I quizzically looked at the polished envelope with Mr. and Mrs. Valerian written on the back. "Seemed pretty rad, wanted to give you it pretty soon." I hummed in response opening the letter.