Disappearing Shadows

Ocean waves lapped gently against the golden sandy shore, its quiet roar resonating through the primrose grains that tumbled and swirled. It pounced like a predator, drowning them in the cobalt sea that captured the shimmering light of the setting sun. The delicate array of warm summery colours bled out into the coming night sky as though they too were running away from the darkness that threatened to swallow them whole.

Izuku welcomed the chilling rush of an evening breeze that swept through his green locks, knees sinking into the earthy ground beneath him. He gazed out with sad eyes, watching the shadows dance and flicker across the shore just as his once did with a man no longer left standing. Tears prickled his throat, stinging as though he'd drunk the salty water before him.

He turned his attention once again to the thick grey stone glaring back at him, hearing the echoing sounds of children from far off. His cue to hurry up. It was unfair to him however, because he wanted more time. More time to sit at the beach, a place that had been a home to him years back. A place he'd seek out in times of needed comfort. Now it was merely a ghosting graveyard. A shadow of what it once was.

"We did it," Izuku spoke, his voice low and trembling, addressing the stone as though it were a person. The person whose name was engraved upon its stubborn brick.

"We did it, All Might," he repeated, placing down with a bouquet of flowers the golden award the young hero had received earlier that day. A wavering smile reflected in the metal that caught the rosy hues of the sky.

He could still recall the events of this morning, the roar of cheers that filled the room when he was announced Japan's number one hero. If he was being honest, he never expected it, but accepted the award with a beaming smile and a heart full of joy, because his dream, their dream, was finally being accomplished.

The award he won, he did it for All Might, to make his idol proud. The greatest prize Izuku could ever receive was seeing the bright eyes of those he rescued, the greatest gratification after doing his job right.

Sat in the sea of flowers and wreaths set down by the whole of Japan, Izuku's seemed small and insignificant. The day of All Might's death – roughly two years ago – had been a shock to the whole world, let alone Izuku. but no-one was hurting more in self-blame than he. If he'd just been faster, stronger, braver, better, then maybe he could –

The young hero let out a sigh, feeling his phone buzz in his back pocket.

"Hey," he answered, raking a hand through his messy hair.

"Hey, Midoriya-chan," Asui greeted with a smile he could see. "We were meant to meet at the café fifteen minutes ago. Are you still coming?"

Shit! He'd been so focused on coming to visit All Might that he completely forgot. "Yeah, sorry, I just lost track of time. I'll be there in five."

He slipped the phone back in his pocket, hiding his face beneath his hood, so he wouldn't draw a crowd after him and headed to meet his friends. He used his quirk to boost his speed, getting across town in no time by travelling over the roofs of the city. He preferred it this way, able to see his home in a new light, watching the moving shadows of the buildings caked in magenta hues.

He came to a stop at the café he was supposed to be at. They didn't get much time off what with their job requiring them to work twenty four seven, so these moments were important for them. The only times they could act and live like regular people again.

"Sorry I'm late you guys," Midoriya apologised, shrugging out of his jacket as the door opened with a ting. Iida, Asui and Hagakure all turned with matching smiles and waved.