chapter X

Engine roaring, sun rising, Charlotte drove and did not take her foot off the pedal.

 Since her great escape, she had only been on the highway. Last time she checked, she was in Wyoming. Charlotte figured she could go to California to start a life there and hope she is never found.

 She even thought about changing her name. However, that required a bunch of paperwork. So, she settled to changing her phone number first.

 On her drive, it was hard to not think about the events that occurred just a few hours ago.

 Are they looking for me? 

You know what? I probably shouldn't care. Just need to hope that they won't ever find me. Sorry, Bobby.

  At 8:02 A.M., Charlotte pulled the red Mustang into an old diner, her favorite type of place to have a good greasy breakfast.

 After hours of craziness and anxiety, a greasy food binge was all she needed.

 In the diner, she was greeted with the strong smell of coffee and the sound of pancakes flipping. The two senses made her stomach speak and she was reminded of what her purpose inside was.

 "Hey darling, let me take you to a booth. You look like you need a pick-me-up."

 Charlotte was thankful that the waitress could sense how she felt at the moment. She followed the lady with the all-too-cheery attitude to a booth next to a window, and gave a small smile in return.

 After placing her order of a breakfast sandwich and coffee, Charlotte settled back into the red, leather seat and gazed out the window. The day was beautiful, and the sun peered between the trees.

 I should see what there is in Wyoming.

 "Hello, Charlotte."

 Startled and heart skipping a beat, she turned to face the speaker. In front of her, a short man with a black suit sat in front of her.

 "Who are you?"

 "My fault, I should have introduced myself. I'm Crowley, more known as the king of hell."

 Charlotte took in the nonsense the man before her was speaking.

 "This is a joke right?"

 "You don't know who I am? I'm a bit offended. I'm here to give you a better life."

 "Yeah? How so?"

 Crowley leaned in and made sure Charlotte's eyes were fixated on his.

 "Serve me as one of my demons."

 "How do you know I want that life?"

 "You ran away for a reason, didn't you?"

 The tension broke when Charlotte's waitress came.

 "Here you go, honey."

 The whole time, the waitress kept looking at Charlotte, and with her eyes it seemed as if she was trying to ask if everything was alright. With a nod, she thanked the lady and assured her everything was okay--for now.

 Charlotte's eyes trained back onto the older male. Something about his words and his offer made her intrigued and ready to hear more.

 "What's in it for me?"

 Crowley's dark eyebrows rose.

 "Well, you get what every one of them gets. Power, yet you have to do whatever I say."

 Charlotte's mouth twisted to the side and her eyebrows scrunched together.

 Can I trust him?

 She watched Crowley's finger drum against the wooden table. The steady drum of his fingers wasn't of impatience, yet of patience itself while he waited for Charlotte's decision.

 "I'm in."