chapter V

The sky morphed into an ashy gray color, as the storm progressed. It was long until the earth rumbled and the first streak of lightning was struck. It didn't help that it just wouldn't stop raining.

 Fortunately for the boys, they were in South Dakota. Meaning, the young girl would stay with Bobby Singer. He was practically like a second father to them, as well a hunter. The men didn't even call him, yet they were hoping he wouldn't mind. Their biggest concern at the moment was to know where Rebecca's body would lay.

 Charlotte payed more attention to the heavy rain on the windows, her little ears absorbing the big droplet sounds.

 Plunk

 "So, where?" Dean asked his younger brother simply. He kept his eyes on the slippery roads. The feeling of death still lingered in the air, and he didn't feel like going through another bad experience.

 Plunk

 "Someplace pretty." responded Sam. He was still in the phase of shock where he couldn't quite process what had just happened not 20 minutes ago. Do the news get around that fast? He thought. Apparently so, since Rebecca was once again gone from his life like the snap of a finger. Except this time she was gone for good. When he was younger, he was struck with the emotion of love with Rebecca. Yet, after years of not having proper love, he denied it. Unfortunately, she wasn't around for him to confirm his feelings.

 POW

 The Impala physically shook. The unexpected sound caused Dean to swerve. As fast as he broke his concentration, he regained it. It seemed as if the lighting did the job of making the noise instead of the thunder. Thunder couldn't make pistol-like sounds.

 Dean cautiously picked up his pace.

 "We gotta move before this storm gets worse than it already is."

 The silence was all it took for Dean to know everyone agreed.

 More sooner than later, Dean swerved the Impala carefully to the side of the road. Beside the car, multiple trees stood, resembling a forest.

 "Dean, this looks like every tree we passed," Sam said to his brother, getting a bit irritated once realizing the full situation.

 "I know, but this section has something "pretty" in the middle of it."

 By this point, the pounding rain turned into a light drizzle. Fortunately, the storm subsided. Yet, the dark clouds still loomed.

 Together the three weaved between the trees with Dean leading and holding the lifeless body in his arms, and the ground's squishing noise constant.

 Sam was a tad bit grumpy, trudging on the soil turned mud. He refused to believe that Dean was right.

 No one seemed to quite give Charlotte their attention, as if they were caught up in their own emotions. Charlotte couldn't even grasp the emotion she wanted to feel. If momma's sleeping forever, will she ever wake up to take me to the yogurt place around the corner? Her innocent mind thought. Her thought was soon dismissed as the trio approached an opening in the forest-like woods.

 By this point, the clouds unlatched from each other. A stream of sunlight peered through the crack in the sky.

 If it wasn't crazy enough, the sunlight seemed to stream directly on the little opening. With this light, they were able to see what surrounded them.

 Colors, is what they saw. Multiply flowers of variety of colors. They were so vivid. How could someone put death in a place full of life?

 Dean broke the awestruck silence.

 "I used to come here when Dad left us with Bobby. During our childhood, fresh with the death of Mom."

 The younger Winchester glanced at his older brother, who kept his face concentrated on a fuchsia flower.

 "So this is where she's going to sleep?"

 The small voice startled both men. They hadn't heard her voice since when they put her mother in the trunk.

 Both men nodded. They mentally decided not to say anything aloud. Everything was to be done in silence.

 The gleam of sweat was present on both men's foreheads. They were too concentrated to wipe it away.

 As for Charlotte, she carefully walked over to her mother's non-breathing body. She observed her fully, absorbing each detail.

 Her dark hair was limp with moisture. Her usual tan glow had vanished, leaving her pale and lifeless.

 Charlottes young eyes roamed to her mother's neck. On her throat was a sloppy slit, dry blood surrounded. She didn't know that her mother bled to death in the truck. Luckily, Dean had placed his hunting items next to Charlotte. The items were covered, and she knew better than to peek.

 Finally understanding her mothers state, she looked at the men with furrowed brows. Why did they lie to her?

 Once again, her thought was dismissed as Dean proclaimed he was done and they were ready to put the body in.

 In a swift motion both men were already out of the hole and both positioned themselves to either end of the woman. Sam with her arms, Dean with her legs. In seconds they had her in the hole, gently placed. Out of nowhere it seemed, Dean had his lighter and Sam with a gallon of gasoline and salt.

 Like he has done oh so many times before, Sam was able to pour in the salt and gas. It was then Dean's turn to pitch in.

 "Cover her eyes," spoke Dean.

 Sam didn't hesitate to put his large hands over his daughter's confused eyes. There was no point, since tears fell from her eyes anyway from the realization of what they were going to do. The darkness of the hands did not block the heat she felt from the fire.