chapter VI

A corpse. That is how Charlotte Hearst remembered her mother. A pale corpse having dark, rich soil being thrown on her. Sure, as she grew older she looked into seeing who her mother was. However, she felt as if she never actually knew the woman.

 Her childhood was spent with two men and one old guy cramming information in her developing brain about all the types of monsters out there in the world. And boy, there were a lot of them.

 As far as being social, her life hadn't been so bad. Charlotte thought this while "doing" her social studies homework that required her to recount her life up to now.

 Ever since she was brought to Bobby's house that peculiar day-which was the only memory she had when she was five-she had lived with him ever since. Yet, the situation turned out differently than what everyone expected.

  The two brothers looked at each other warily before Dean broke the silence and knocked on Bobby's wooden door. Their crazy idea was something they were willing to try. It took a few moments before the man decided to open the door. Of course, as any curious person would, he peered into his peep-hole, identifying the two brothers who rarely appeared at his door. However, from his position, he could not see the added member of the family.

 That would explain why he looked directly at Charlotte when he finally did open his door.

 "Who the hell is this?"

 Sam gave the man a stern look, which was responded by an annoyed one from the man inside the house. The young Winchester should have known by now that Bobby had no filter when it came to his cussing vocabulary.

 Dean had decided to answer the man's lingering question.

 "Sam's daughter."

 Young Charlotte looked up just in time to see Bobby's face drop once Dean's words hit. It wasn't long until the man pulled them all inside and slammed the door shut hurridly.

 "You idjit! Do you realize what this means?"

 Sam looked away. 

 "Well, great. So, why does this have to interrupt my once peaceful evening?" Bobby asked, getting more annoyed by the second.

 This time, Sam spoke.

 "Well, we were kinda hoping that you would take her...," Sam stated, fully looking at the weathered man to see his reaction. The way his eyes-widened, it seemed as if he'd yell at the two young men. Yet, strangely enough, he didn't.

 With a a sigh of defeat and his annoyance vanishing, he said the one word that not even he expected to say.

 "Fine."

 Sam stood in shock while his older brother had to double-check if the old man had just said what he thought.

 "F-fine?" Dean stuttered a bit. Bobby's response really took him off guard.

 "Yes, fine, Dean. Now hurry up and get the girl over here before I change my mind."

 Bobby's request had full effect and in a matter of seconds Dean grabbed the young girl's arm and dragged her to the old man.

 Already exhausted from the day's events, she had no complaints.

 "Now lets see if she's got anything going on."

 After being drenched, cut, and even having to digest weird mixtures, the men found nothing wrong with the girl.

 That night was the hardest for Charlotte. She was put in a dark room while the brothers slept elsewhere. No one really asked how she was feeling.

 Not even Sam Winchester, her father, had come into her room to acknowledge her, tuck her in, or even kiss her forehead. At that time, she didn't know that her mother's death affected this stranger as well. Yet, she still felt the absence of affection.

 Charlotte didn't sleep at all that night. Sammy's words from earlier that day kept repeating in her head.

"Momma's going to sleep, Charlotte. Forever."

 What does forever mean? She thought. This question and many others began forming and swirling in her young mind.

 Now, Charlotte knew all too well what "forever" meant at fifteen.

 As she was thinking, her childhood hadn't been all so bad. Aside from the weekends she spent learning information about monsters and receving shooting lessons from her new guardian, she was able to go to the place where she learned entirely different subjects.

 School.

 With the added information school provided, Charlotte's mind felt overloaded with new concepts and ideas. However, the more information she knew, the more superior over her classmates she felt. She knew that with the salt lining her windowsills, no demon could get to her. Also, the warding and trap symbols she learned made her feel giddy inside everytime Bobby asked her to draw them. Meanwhile, no one at school knew this and that's what made her content. Yet, no one at school really even knew who she was. Of course, she had quite a good amount of friends and was even popular at the high school, but no one had an the vaguest idea of Charlotte's secret knowledge.

 The only thing that took away her feeling of superiorness over her peers had to be that she had never been on a hunt.

 To her, this didn't make sense. Why did Bobby spend so much time teaching her how to shoot and teaching her about these monsters if she was never going to put her skills to use? Everytime the hunting oppurtunity was given, Bobby always refused to bring her along.

'It's too dangerous,' he would always say.

 Too dangerous my ass, she thought. If he always came back alive, then she could too, right? Especially with her training.

 Well, alright. Sometimes her guardian would come back hurt and even a bit traumatized after a hunt. Yet, he still made it out alive, didn't he?

 What ticked her off more was the fact that Sam and Dean seemed to always call him and ask for his help. Didn't they know he came home exhausted? Didn't they know she was capable of giving the same information?

 At the thought of the Winchesters, Charlotte rolled her eyes. They barely acknowledged her whenever they came over. Dean refused to look her in the eyes and Sam would always become silent around her.

 It struck her how similar the youngest Winchester and her looked whenever she glanced at her reflection in the mirror and compared it to his whenever he sat by the large mirror Bobby had in his office. From her "puppyish" eyes to her brown, healthy hair, they could have even passed as siblings. Maybe even father and daughter, yet that would have meant that he would have had her at the age of 19.

 The teen thought about this so much that she had even made the calculations. Although she vaguely remembered the young men bringing her to her present guardian, the details about what they actually meant in her life were always iffy to her.

 All she knew was that the Winchester's were John Winchester's sons and Bobby Singer was like a second father to them. She also found out that that the youngest Winchester had gone to the same college as her mother, as pictures showed.

 Yet this all hadn't bothered her. She had no interest in finding out who her biological father was when Bobby had become more and more like a father figure to her throughout the years. Maybe one day she'd find out, yet Charlotte's biggest priority at the moment was trying to convince Bobby Singer for her to go on along on the next hunt.

 Oh, and finishing her social studies homework.

 'What's your story?'

 Charlotte had no trouble writing down the lie taught by Bobby that she memorized since she was five.

 'I grew up in Sioux Falls, South Dakota living with my uncle...'