chapter IX

Charlotte sat on the wooden makeshift bed the room had to offer. Her steam drifting already, she decided to hatch a plan.

 I'll just ask to go the bathroom. They'll obviously let me do that. Who knew being a girl could actually come to my advantage? Then I could just run as fast as I can. Bobby's slow, anyways. Charlotte thought.

 "Bobby!"

 Silence.

 Were the dark walls surrounding her sound proof? Instead of making her voice go hoarse, Charlotte turned to another method.

 BANG BANG BANG

 "Pipe down!" Charlotte heard a familiar voice coming from upstairs.

 "Bobby, I need to use the bathroom!"

 "There's a bucket in there!"

 "I need to get my lady things!" Using this as her argument, Charlotte only hoped Bobby would fall for her lie.

 After all, the men were feeding her an even bigger lie all these years.

 It wasn't long until Charlotte heard the man she called descending the stairs. From living with someone for so long, a person can easily identify the sounds of the movements someone does. From the way he threw the keys to the way he came down the stairs, Charlotte knew it was Bobby. She also knew he respected her enough to not send one of the other boys down. That's why she felt bad when she had to do what she did.

 Bobby's old eyes peered into the little window.

 "Don't try running."

 "I won't."

 As the clicks on the door turned, Charlottes body tensed. Once the door was wide open, she just stood there.

 "Are you going to move, or what?"

 Those words brought Charlotte's original thoughts back.

 "I'm sorry, Bobby."

 With this, Charlotte only got to see the furrow of his eyebrows before she pushed him out of the way. She didn't look back as she ran up the stairs in a hurry. By the clatter of noise, she could tell Bobby had fallen in a mess and would have a hard time getting back up.

 The house's warming lights came into view. Charlotte didn't bother bidding farewell to the home she grew up in by stopping and taking in the house's character. She sprinted to the door, fumbling with the lock.

 "Bobby?"

 Charlotte turned back to meet Sam's gaze. It took him a moment to register his daughter's attempt to escape. Yet, by the time he decided to react, she lurched the door open and ran as fast as she could to Bobby's car shop.

 She was thankful that she participated in P.E. and was in good shape. Her sweet escape required more fitness than she realized.

 Charlotte hid behind a red mustang.

 Balls!

 Charlotte's plan wouldn't go through if she didn't have a car.

 Well Bobby usually keeps the cars unlocked and the keys in the glove compartment...

 Taking her chances, Charlotte dove to the door and got inside as quickly as she could. Scrambling to find the keys, she luckily found them in the spot where she imagined they would be in.

 Time to bring this baby to life.

 As she turned the ignition, the car gave a measly sputter.

 "I don't have time for this!" Charlotte exclaimed. She knew that at any second Sam, Dean, or Bobby would find her.

 With another go at the car, it finally roared to life. With a smile of relief, Charlotte began putting the car in reverse. She was also fortunate she knew how to drive. She was almost at the exit until both Sam and Dean appeared in front of her.

 Frightened, she put the car in reverse and began going back to the shop's entrance. Looking back and forth, she could see the men running towards the car, probably shouting profanity. As the car accelerated, Charlotte felt as if her heart accelerated as well.

  Finally backing out, Charlotte was on the highway. There was no backing out of this now.

 The only remembrance of her past was seen on the rear view mirror, as the three men stood, faces contorted in disbelief.