chapter XVI

"Bravo."

  Charlotte didn't even have to look up from her position to recognize the voice of the King of Hell. Pushing away her dirty hair from her face, she dismounted her father and stood up, still standing next to him.

  Crowley didn't look the least bit surprised. 

  "You have just shown what a Winchester is all about. Family. I knew you'd be useless when in contact with these boys."

  Tears and blood dry by now, her red eyes looked upon his before falling to the ground.

  "I-I'm sorry, I just," she started.

  "I know," Crowley finished for her. Sympathy was not his thing. Yet, aware of the family's bond, he already knew how this would all end up. With that, he disappeared, and the redness of Charlotte's pupils drained out and went back to her brown eyes. She fell to the ground, hands stopping her from falling all the way. She breathed heavily. Her body was now powerless and she had never felt weaker.

  Taking this as their cue to come over, the men opened their car doors to make way to the weak. Dean was enraged that they couldn't go any sooner, but, like always, Bobby was right. It was better to let the moment play out.

  Hearing footsteps, Charlotte looked up. The men's complexions were dark since the moonlight was behind them, making Charlotte squint to recognize their faces. Going over to her first, Dean picked her up by the arm to lift her frail body. 

"Hey, Lottie," he said, looking at her worn face. Charlotte managed to grin a little before hugging him with all her might.

 "Hey, Dean," she responded against his body, eyes closed. When her eyes opened, she saw Castiel standing off by the side. This really made her amused, so she peeled off of Dean to greet him.

 "Hey, Cass," she said, startling the angel. He spoke back to her in his grim voice.

 "Hello, Charlotte." She grinned before it dawned on her what he was useful for.

 "Can you, uh, maybe help Sam?" she said, her hand grabbing her forearm in an awkward motion.

 "I can. What about you?"

 "I'll be fine," she replied. The next person in line was someone she was relieved to see, but began dreading how their talk will go down.

 "I've got to hand it to you, it's not everyday you see the boys get battered up by a girl." She smiled fully, relief flooding over her. She went in to hug Bobby quickly, squeezing him.

  "Nice to see you again, Bobby," she breathed out. Meanwhile, Castiel was bent near Sam with his hand on his chest, using his powers to heal him. A burst of blue-white light surged when he was finally healed, cuts and bruises removed completely. His body stirred, hand coming up to rub his eyes. He sat up groaning, and wiped the dirt off of his clothes. Eyes squinting, he looked over at the others who were gazing intently at him.

  "Hey, guys."

  Dean looked at him and then at Charlotte before smiling. 

  "Let's get you guys home."  With that, he went over to help his brother up, lugging his large arm over his shoulder. They made their way back to the black Impala. Feeling shy after her past actions, Charlotte followed behind the group wordlessly. All began piling in the car. Dean as the driver, Bobby as shotgun, and the rest in the backseat. Charlotte, still dirty, sat awkwardly between Sam and Castiel. As they began their long drive to Bobby's house, Charlotte felt her father's gaze. She looked up to catch his eyes.

  "I'm sorry for everything, Sam," she simply apologized.

  He looked at her for a moment longer before responding, "And I'm sorry for a whole lot more. You don't have to apologize. What's important is that we're back together. We'll talk more later, okay?"

  She nodded, settling back into her seat. Charlotte thought about what had changed her. What made the hatred for the man go away? While beating him and watching his strength falter, she noticed the tired look from his face, and him eventually closing his eyes. This image alone reminded her of her mother's face, dead in the hole. Charlotte assumed that this is what made her stop. Realizing that Sam was truly what she had left of her mother, she couldn't let him go either. Rebecca's death laid heavily on her shoulders, so she could only imagine what his death would do to her. In a way, she was glad her stupidity ultimately opened her eyes, as weird as it may sound. At the moment, she was just incredibly thankful to be between her father and an angel, riding in her uncle's car with the person who raised her sitting shotgun.

  Sam put his arm around her, pulling her towards him.

  If this was what being a Winchester was, always being there with for family, she didn't mind at all. Actually, there was no place she'd rather be.

  Back home, everyone went straight to their beds, aside from Castiel, who disappeared as usual before anyone got to thank him. The next day, yesterday seemed to have never happened. Waking up groggy, Charlotte freshened up before making her way to the kitchen, where the other men already were. Other than a simple good morning greeting, they offered her food.

  "Pie?" Dean asked, his mouth already full.

  "This early?" She questioned.

  "Never too early for pie." Charlotte smiled at his comment, taking a piece for herself. She knew her stomach would hurt later, but she was particularly interested in what in the pie made her uncle so happy.

 Bobby sat on his chair, coffee in his hand. He raised his cup up, greeting her.

 She grinned back at him as she sat down herself. Taking a forkful of the cherry pie and putting it in her mouth, her taste buds went crazy over the flavor.

 "Mmm...," she expressed with her mouth full, "I get it now, Dean." He raised his eyebrows while nodding his head in agreement.

  Suddenly, Sam entered the room. 

  "Hey, morning everyone," he greeted. Bobby grunted. Dean raised his eyebrows once again. "Charlotte, can I speak to you outside for a bit?"

  Nodding her head, she put her plate down on the table.

  "Let the girl finish!" Dean exclaimed.

  "No, I'm alright, Dean," she responded back, patting her stomach. He shrugged his shoulders, going back to his own piece. Charlotte followed Sam outside to the auto shop, where they leaned against a black Mustang.

 "So, I just wanted to say, Charlotte, that I'm sorry. And I owe you this sorry for a long time now. I knew eventually the time would come where you would find out, and I guess I never prepared for it. If you hadn't had that revelation last night, I don't even know what could have happened. I fully take responsibility for all things that have happened. But, I truly loved your mother, and I love you, too."

 She grinned at her father. For the first time ever, she embraced him tightly. Against his long hair, she responded, "I love you, too."