chapter II

The two adults and child were now inside the cheap motel room that the building had to offer. Rebecca Hearst stood by the chipping door, cautious and in pain. The growing toddler seemed to weigh her down more and more each time she carried her. Charlotte was no longer a baby.

"Well, how are you?" questioned Sam. He didn't know what else to say except for the lame questions everybody asked.

"I'm alright, I guess...," Rebecca shifted Charlotte by pulling her slightly up with a bounce of her arms, uncomfortable in her position. "Look Sam, if you don't need me here I could just go I mean I just wanted you to see-"

"No."

The two letter word was strong enough to pause Rebecca in whatever she was saying. Yet, it came out from Dean's mouth.

"No. You can't leave. It's too dangerous for you to be out there with his child. Sam, tell her why," Dean demanded, shooting daggers at his brother so he'd feel the pressure. Sam looked back at his intimidating brother, rolling his eyes before turning back to a curious Rebecca, sighing. Rebecca had her dark eyebrows furrowed, desperate to know what was wrong.

"When I was younger demon blood was put into my body by a demon, Azazel. It was my six-month birthday and it was the day my mother died and the house was put on fire. Ever since then, my brother Dean, my father and I have been hunting what you may call the supernatural and this demon."

"OK. What does that have to do with Charlotte?"

"Let me finish, Becca." And so she did. "Recently we discovered that Azazel chose me and some others for his "army". He cursed us with these powers. I, for example, if I try hard enough, I could move objects with my mind."

"So kind of like telekinisis?" Becca offered.

"Something like that. Yet Dean successfully was able to kill him by the Colt, a gun made by Samuel Colt that could kill almost anything supernatural. Yet, while killing him, the gates of hell was opened so many demons broke free. So this demon is gone, yet I still remain with his blood and curse," replied Sam. He looked up to the woman in front of him, looking for her reaction. Surprisingly, she showed no anger in her grey-blue eyes.

"So my daughter has demon blood in her," Rebecca managed to say, as if she was still processing the whole situation.

"Probably. In my defense, I didn't know I had it in me either until a while ago. Yet, you have to know how difficult life is going to be for her with this fact. The demons are eventually going to find out and search for her. And for you."

"So what do you want me to do? Tag along with you guys for the rest of our lives so we're safe?" Rebecca said jokingly, yet she honestly didn't know what to do with this information.

"Yes."

"No," Dean and Sam agreed and disagreed at the same time.

"We aren't going to raise a little girl into this family business, Sammy," argued Dean.

"They're going to be killed out there! You know the demons will eventually find out!" spat back Sam.

"It's more dangerous with us than out there," Dean replied, softening up at the situation. "Why don't we let her choose?" Dean offered.

Both men looked up at the startled woman standing in front of them. Dean was hoping she chose not to stay with them, yet had little tinge of worry that if she chose not to, bad things would come for both girls. The younger Winchester didn't even know what to hope.

"I...I want to stay with you guys. I mean, you have gotten yourself this far without dying right? I'm sure Charlotte and I can stay out of your way while you guys are...hunting. Also, Charlotte has some catching up to do with her father." With this, she looked directly at Sam. Her intimidating gaze caused his eyes to shift to Dean's, whose face was emotionless.

"OK," Dean stated simply.

"OK?" Rebecca asked, making sure he was positive.

"OK."

"What about you, Sam?" pondered Rebecca. She tore her gaze away from Dean and looked at Sam, who looked and seemed a bit stuck.

"Well, I mean, it's an OK with me," he managed to say, although the whole situation in general was overwhelming for his overdriven mind.

"OK. I'll just go check out a room."

"No," barked Dean."You're not getting out of our sight. You can have Sam's bed." With that, Sam looked at his older brother with a look of disbelief. Why did it have to be his bed?

"I can sleep on the floo-"

"You're sleeping on the bed."

Rebecca decided that it was no point to argue with Dean further. So, she carefully laid the sleeping child on the designated bed that they'd be sleeping on.

"Honestly this is a bit awkward and I'm sorry for intruding it's so uncalled for but-" the young women was then cutoff by Dean's loud snore. Sam offered her a grin.

"It's fine. I totally see where you're coming from."

Rebecca gave him a non-toothy grin. It's been years, yet she couldn't help but feel attracted to the man across her.

"Um, here's the quilt so you won't sleep uncomfortably." Rebecca knew it was too soon to suggest him sleeping on the bed alongside her.

"Oh, uh, thanks." Sam took the gray, boring quilt that the motel offered and laid it down on the carpeted floor. "Goodnight, Becca."

"Goodnight Sam."

While they shared a brief moment of just looking at each other, Dean let out another ear-aching snore.

"And goodnight to you too, Dean."