chapter XVII

Everything was finally normal. If, hunters could have normal lives.
After their talk, Charlotte felt refreshed. She was glad not to have any more tension with her father.

Unfortunately, both Sam and Dean had to leave, finding a hunt nearby that they wanted to look at.

They offered if Charlotte wanted to come along, but she declined.

"You sure you don't want to go?" Sam asked, embracing Charlotte in a hug goodbye.

"Yeah," she replied, "I want to stay with my old man."

Bobby Singer, who was behind them, scoffed.

"I am not that old."

Charlotte smiled as she went over to hug Dean.

"Bye, Lottie, catch you later," he said, hugging her tight.

"See you," she said quietly.

After Bobby and the boys exchanged their words of goodbye, they left. Charlotte held on to Bobby while they watched the boys drive away in the Impala.

"So, are you going to have some of that pie?" Bobby asked, walking towards the kitchen.

"Dean didn't eat it all?"

Bobby chuckled and shook his head.
Charlotte looked at the remaining slice of pie. It did look delicious. Who could waste something that looked so good? Not her. So, she put the slice on a plate and grabbed a knife and fork.

"I'm just going to eat this in-"

Click.

"...my room."

Charlotte and Bobby stopped what they were doing.

Charlotte's eyes flicked over to Bobby's gun that was in his right jacket pocket. Slowly and as quiet as possible, he removed it and adjusted it in his hands.

Keeping her knees straight as to eliminate excess noise as she walked, Charlotte made her way towards the hallway.

There, standing in the doorway with a gun pointing towards Charlotte and a crazed look in his eyes, stood Saul. He was an older hunter, about the same age as Bobby. His thin hair was disheveled, his eyes were wide, and his hands were shaking.

"Saul, what are you doing?" Charlotte asked.

"I hate to do this, but you're a demon. I have to kill you."

Behind Charlotte, Bobby stepped in with his gun hidden.

"You don't have to do anything of that sort. Leave my house, Saul, before I call the police," Bobby threatened.

"Why would you keep one of them in your own house, Robert?" Saul questioned. He never addressed Bobby by his nickname.

"I'm not 'one of them' anymore," Charlotte spoke up.

His eyes fixed on to Charlotte's.

"It will always be inside you."

With that, his fingered pulled on the trigger.

What happened in between almost felt like it was in slow motion. Right as Saul pulled the trigger, which caused himself to flinch, Bobby stepped in, in front of Charlotte. There wasn't time for her to push him away and take the blow herself. Yet, during this, Bobby was able to cock the gun towards Saul's chest, sending a bullet straight to his heart.

Both men fell to the floor. One dead, and the other unconscious. Wide-eyed and shocked, Charlotte looked down towards the floor where Bobby lay, taking in his bullet wound in the head. Blood started to pool and that was when Charlotte got to her senses.
Charlotte rushed over to the kitchen countertop, fumbling with her cell phone and trying not to make it fall out of her hands, for her palms were sweaty and she was trembling. She didn't realize she was crying until some teardrops fell on to the phone screen.
She waited as the phone rung, impatiently drumming her fingers and biting her lip.