Chapter 17: Escape

The team raced around a corner as the generator exploded, sending a huge fireball out of the side of the fortress.

Flames engulfed the hallways as the whole power network went down.  Jel, Kel and Garter ran back the way they came, racing to get out before the flames consumed them.

A few Hive soldiers shot at them, but most were too busy fleeing for there lives to take the time to take a shot.  One knight, however was not planning on letting the fireteam escape.

The knight fired a volley of fire at the team, but they jumped out of the way and returned fire, killing the knight.

Kel and Garter continued to run, reaching the fortress entrance door.  Jel, however, turned and looked one last time at the smoldering hall, before sprinting after them.

Suddenly, a hand shot out of the rubble and grabbed Jel's leg.  The hand moved to reveal an arm, than a chest, and finally the head of Harakë.

"I will tear you to pieces, guardian!" Harakë boomed, as he twisted Jel's leg.  Jel screamed in pain.

"Hey, you!  Ugly!  Leave our friend alone!" Kel said as he ran back towards Jel, firing shots above Harakë's head, missing him completely.

"Ha!  You missed!  No guardian will ever kill Hara-"

The hallway roof, now freed from Kel's shooting, fell and crushed Harakë beneath it.  His arm fell to the ground, allowing Jel to escape the Hive's grasp.

"Thanks, buddy." Jel said, as he and Kel ran to join Garter at the entrance and together, they exited the smoldering fortress and boarded the ship.

The ship rose off the ground with Garter at the controls, and zoomed away, mere seconds before the entire fortress exploded in a massive fireball.