Thanksgiving- Kory and Trace

Start from the beginning

                Mom released me and smiled at me before returning to making food. Trace came out a minute later and we began to roll the truffles again.

                When we were done, we stuck them in the refrigerator before heading upstairs and into his room together. We laid on his bed, cuddling together.

                “Trace, are you excited for Thanksgiving tomorrow?” I asked brightly.

                Trace shook his head. “Not at all. I think it’s a pointless day. All you do is scramble to make food, eat for 15 minutes, and then stress over what to do with all the leftovers. It’s a stupid holiday,” he said in annoyance.

                I poked him in the cheek. “You need to be happier!” I said sternly.

                “Shut up Kory,” he grumbled.

                “No! You can’t make me shut up!” I argued stubbornly.

                Trace crashed his lips to mine, kissing my deeply. He licked my bottom lip and I granted his tongue access to my mouth. It rubbed against mine and Trace tangled his hands in my hair. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled his body against mine.

                Okay, so maybe he could make me shut up.

                Trace pulled away after a little and I rested my head on his chest, feeling tired. “Night-night Mr. Moodypants!” I said, squeezing my eyes shut.

                The last thing I heard before passing out was Trace’s annoyed sigh.

                                                                                                ***

                “Boys! Dinner!” Brandon called.

                Trace and I got up and went downstairs, holding hands. Mom shot me a look that said she knew what we had been doing upstairs while we waited for them to cook the turkey.

                Trace and I sat down together, and mom and Brandon joined us a few minutes later. I began to drool like a freaking dog as I eyed all the delicious looking food in front of me.

                “Well, since it’s our first Thanksgiving as a family, I just want to say how thankful I am to have Janine and Kory in our family now,” Brandon said, taking mom’s hand in his and kissing her lovingly. “And, of course, I’m thankful to have you Trace,” he said, giving Trace a look that showed just how deeply he loved his only son.

                “Can I say something?” I asked, raising my hand as if I were in school. I stared at my raised hand and furrowed my brow. “Screw you people! I’m speaking whether you want me to or not.”

                I looked over at Trace and squeezed his hand. “I just…Well, I just want to say I’m really thankful that my mom married Brandon. If she hadn’t married Brandon, I wouldn’t have met you Trace. And I love you. You’re an asshole and you’re mean to me, but I love you,” I said sincerely.

                Trace seemed surprised. “I love you too Kory,” he said.

                “I’m also really, really thankful that you have such a hot body. But that turkey’s body is catching my attention since your shirt is on, so let’s eat!” I said, my gaze instantly snapping back to the turkey.

                Trace sighed. “Only you Kory,” he said, shaking his head.

                We began to eat in comfortable silence, the Christmas music the only noise. Once we had stuffed ourselves with what was on the table, mom and Brandon got up to get the truffles and pie.

                “Kory…I usually hate the holidays. Like, a lot. But…I think I might actually enjoy them this year now that I have you,” Trace said quietly, not meeting my eyes. “You make me happy.”

                “AW!” I cried happily, wrapping my arms around him. “You’re adorable! I love you!”

                Trace hugged me back and kissed me. “I mean it. I’ve never been so thankful for anything before, but I’m thankful for you,” he said, resting his forehead on mine and looking into my eyes. “I love you so much. Today, I don’t feel…well, I don’t feel lonely like I normally do. Thank you.” He pecked my lips.

                “I’m glad we’re together Trace. As stepbrothers, and as boyfriends. Happy Thanksgiving baby,” I said, smiling at him. And when he returned the smile, I knew it was a genuine one.